Can tempering go wrong?

I don't like using numbers for heat treating more than most! :/

The numbers there illustrate the different temperatures the two steels go non-magnetic at. To make a steel sandwich for use with the "magnet method" it needs to be arranged for that ahead of time.

I don't use the "magnet method" I heat treat at night, and go by something more precise, the "arrest point method" (a phrase I fiNgured out all by myself BTW;).

Forger I had somewhat the same feeling you did when you hammered your first hot iron. Mine came through reading a book "Metallurgy Theory and Practice" by Dell K Allen... do us both ;) a favor and get on Amazon.com and buy one. :)

Your blacksmithing will be the better for the knowledge gained. That's a money back guarantee! :) I'll buy the book from you if you don't find it helpful -and- interesting.

The arrangement might be- you send it to someone besides me (some other sucker I talked into buying the nothing-better-than-a-coal- fire-starting piece of crap), ok?

In my first week of reading/studying I learned at least "a thousand man years" of iron metallurgy. That's too powerful of a thing to pass up, isn't it?

I have a -lot- of metallurgy books and that one is my favorite, it was the right book at the right time as a starter. I checked it out of the library liked it so much called (late 80's) the publisher and bought a new one. YMMV

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

. I checked it out

Well I tried, but apparently it isnt in me to make a reply to that without being a cruel @sshole :) So I'll just say OK, I'll dig that book out when I get a chance.

Forger

Reply to
Forger

Yeah, he mentioned putting wood in the pipe to burn out the oxygen but not the oil coating. I'm about convinced to take my next heat treat to the mountains and have a "camp fire" ;-). Be fun to do at least once just for the experience. Kind of like the full moon forge parties.

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

If I had the option - I'd use a high temp oil - peanut. Likely he cooked with the corn and had it handy. Peanut is used to cook with as it won't smoke when at a high temp like corn does.

In our club meeting last night it was mentioned to use a SS Bag and put some paper - sheet flat is great - and then load in the metal - from that point, expell all air possible and seal the end. In the shop he used the vac to draw as much as logical. The metal came out without scale, blue color on the outside and the concept was the burning temp of the paper determined the blue and once above, the oxygen was not present so no color shift existed.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

No sweat, wouldn't expect anything else from you, Forger. ;)

"if a guy doesn't figure he's about as much of an asshole as half the guys out there, he's prob'ly not thinking so good" -alvin

"if you think you're such a -good guy- that you figure you rank in the top ten percent, that's cool, and I'll agree with you, -if- you're a fairy" -alvin

Cool, go for it! :)

I won't forget I offered you a money back guarantee. (it was already etched into iron-oxide-stone anyway;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

GA, Bill H. did you check this stuff out yet? Forger did you get a copy of the book yet?

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

HuH??? Hey it's early on Saturday morning. Can you be a bit more specific? I remember the thread. What part are you refering to and where are you trying to take me?

GA

Reply to
Greyangel