forge welding

Has any one here ever heard of useing hydrated lime as a flux for
welding?
People do not know,because people do not do.
Reply to
Hamma Head
Nope. But just read if you put it in solution with water you wind up with a pH of 12.4. Think I'll make do with borax ;) .
dennis in nca
Reply to
dgrup
I have tried it at anothers recomendation and found it wanting, but he says it works well for him. I prefer old 20 mule team with about an equal amount of boric acid, or just the borax. Anhydrous borax is better, but more costly, not what a hobbiest needs. Patent fluxes work well too, but again cost. I have recontly started welding without flux but the jury is still out. The most important thing about welding is believing that you can. Doug
Reply to
doug roberts
Thanks,guys.I read of someone useing lime for flux on another forum,..and was curious.Seems like it would be a lot easier on refractory than borax.
Reply to
radial notion
Refractory is an expendable component in the process. It wears out and you replace it. I'm on my third lining, and it's firebrick and concrete. Try to find out just what materials this fellow was using with the lime flux; seems awfully reactive to me, and high heat usually just accelerates the reaction. It would be damn hard to look at too, remember 'limelight'? You might have to resort to the welding mask from the arc welder. Go slow, safety first, stay upwind, plan ahead.
Charly
Reply to
Charly the Bastard
Thanks for the warning and info!