model 408 forge

I looked at the #408 ( number tag attached to front of the forge ) Champion forge and checked out the blower like Trevor said and
it was tight and turned both ways. The tuyere worked but was surprised that forge was only about an 1/8" thick steel and had rounded corners. I was told the forge came out of the old Whitney Estate in NY. Is this the type of construction for these old forges and how do they hold up with what I thought is thin metal?
Thanks Dan

Just passing this on because I've read it here before -- I wouldn't know a model 408 if it fell on me -- but usually with a forge like that you line it with clay to protect the metal from the heat. At one time there was a guy on this group that successfully built his forge from an old stainless steel sink, and another that used an old Weber grill. Hopefully someone here who has done it can give you more detail about what you need to do.
-- Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real] www.necka.net Molon Labe!