Naturally aspirated burner designs

Hi.

Anyone have experience with the relative merits and performance of the Reil-type burners (Reil-burner, side arm burner) versus those that are described in Porters Gas Burners book? I have some Reil burners which have served me very well (if not slightly rich), but the flares on the ends have cooked away, so it's time to give them some attention. And they made me think that I should query the state of the art on burners again and see what people think. Does the Gas Burners book have "better" designs that might be worth investigating?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

don

Reply to
sir.eggplantalot

I am pretty familiar with the Reil-type burners and also with the Porter-type axial choke burners. I believe the Porter type are certainly more efficient, i.e. you get more usable heat and less carbon monoxide per volume of gas. I think Mikey's book has some limitations in its presentation, but the basic design is sound (I have made one) and I found it straightforward to make and it works well. I haven't made a forge burner yet, just a 1/2" hand burner. One thing to note is that you can mix and match accelerator designs. In other words, Mikey describes a different accelerator with each size burner, but you can e.g. use the accelerator from the 3/4" burner on the 1/2" burner.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I spent some time playing with the Riel Burner design as well as the side arm. I never really had the right parts and pieces though so my results are suspicious. Never did get anything I was happy with but did come up with one that worked kind of ok. I ended up buying the Rex burner and won't waste my time on anything else untill somebody shows me different can be better. A buddy of mine made a forced air burner and it's not as good as the Rex in my opinion. Of course all this is a far cry from what is probably out there in the industrial world. I don't have a lot of experience to compare from.

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

I have made a bunch of Reil burners, which I'm pretty happy with. I can't comment on Porter's as the ones I'm building are still in pieces. :(

If you aren't us>Hi.

Reply to
Steve Smith