Polishing/buffing questions

To hark back to an early Usenet tradition, I will attempt to close this thread in the interests of saving web space.
You've all been extraordinarily kind in offering advice on the question
I posed and I will be applying all of your input to my amateur efforts. I will post news of how it all works out but in the mean time, I hope that my subject doesn't further clutter up the archives of this group.
Again, thank you one and all.
Bert
Bert Olton wrote:

Sorry for being late on the scene, as it were, but I expect the lines are from the buffing wheel being charged with oxide grit supllied by the workpiece, which is coarser than the grit in the polishing compound. You are using different wheels as you progress to finer compounds, yes? If you can afford the time, and want a mirror finish on the face of your parts, track down a Micro-Mesh Abrasive Kit. Micro-Mesh makes abrasive paper (plastic) sheets to around 12 thousand grit. Use the various grits wet, and work your way through them, and the part comes out scary shiny. :-)
The Micro-Mesh abrasives are usually used for taking scratches out of such things as aircraft canopies and the like. Available from plastics suppliers. Works well on knife blades and the like, though labour intensive.
The Kit will set you back around $30 or so, and contains about 8 or 10 different grits, some polishing cloth and a sanding pad, as well as instructions. Worth a look, if you want to polish something small. to a very high level.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Trevor Jones wrote:

As of today, yes. But I hadn't thought of protecting the wheel from any contamination from "off-surface" edges of the work piece. hmmm.....

lol...that's what I'm after.

many thanks.
Bert
--
To all who have served or are serving the cause of freedom, from
whatever country, whether in peace or in war, at home or abroad, thank you.