Need help polishing Stainless Steel

I have some Stainless Steel pieces (several feet in length) that currently
have a brushed finish. I want to buff / polish these to a mirror finish. I
have a new bench grinder, but I have no experiece with buffing wheels and
compounds. Due to the amount of material, I would prefer to do as little by
hand (sandpaper) as possible, but I ultimately want a nice end result. What
products (stitched wheel, felt wheel, firmness of either, compounds, etc) do
I need to accomplish this? I have tried some buffing, but many of the
deeper original scratches remain.
Any details on procedures and products would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply to
GrayMatter
Hi, Have a look at this site, very helpfull for a first timer. Regards. Ben
Reply to
Rotty
No link showed up. Do you have a link you can send me?
Thanks
Reply to
GrayMatter
You can get stainless steel sheet with "mirror" finish. It will save you a lot of trouble. Even flat finish stainless sheet would be easier to polish up than brush finish.
Regards....Walt
Reply to
Hion solar
My local laser profiler has said that in the UK at least the mills won't do mirror finish below 2mm IIRC, below that you can get bright annealed which is close and polishes easily.
Hi>>Subject: Need help polishing Stainless Steel
Reply to
David Billington
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:17:35 -0600, the inscrutable "GrayMatter" spake:
SWAG: Sand them (ROS) with progressively finer grits until they begin to shine, THEN buff (orbital) with progressively finer compounds. Finish up with Mother's.
Here's a kit. It looks like it has white rouge, black emery, and green chromium oxide sticks.
But sand the scratches out first. That's likely how they were put there: with a belt sander.
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary
Reply to
Larry Jaques
GrayMatter,
A few years back I posted here about polishing some SS, you should be able to Google that info up. Quickly, we used some Norton Abrasives unified wheels, Bear Tek by name, to begin teh polishing process. They were 220 grit, so they did not do very much material removing, mostly just polishing. After that we used stitched cotton wheels and rouge compounds to achieve the final look. We were using hand held die grinders for all of the above, but I am sure you can find what you would need to fit your bench grinder.
Best of luck, Jim C Roberts
Reply to
Jim C Roberts