Compact Bender questions

I managed to scrounge up a "compact bender" made by Lock Down Securities, evidently one of the older models..pretty much identical to the metal benders sold by everyone, Harbor Freight included. Basic bender gizmo on a square post with a plate you bolt down to the floor, all the normal dies yada yada. It was never used and the die box has yet to be opened.

Ok...how the heck do I use it? Ive spent 45 minutes doing web searches for any sort of metal bender instructions that would be applicable. Ive never even seen one of these things used before..so Im a total cherry when it comes to this thingy. I figured it would be a nice thing to have now that Ive gotten a bit more into welding. Shrug. It was free..so I snagged it.

Also...anyone have any good suggestions how to mount this thing on dirt so it doesnt go away when I reef on the handle?

Ill be putting it out back next to the welding table some place close and of course, its just dirt back there. Id rather not pour a chunk of concrete to mount it on as I may need to move it now and again.

Thanks in advance

Gunner

Gunner

I mounted mine to a sheet of 3/4" ply, and park my truck on top of it when I want to use it. This was actually suggested to me by someone here, and it works fine. It has to be mounted well, as you are going to be hauling on it hard and it has a long lever arm, but I didn't want to drill it into my garage floor.

As for instructions, I have to look at them every time I use it, as it is not obvious at all (to me anyway). I believe that the Harbor Freight site has downloadable instructions that will help you figure it out.

I really like this tool, and have had a lot of fun bending brackets, scrolls, hangers, and the like.

Reply to
Emmo

Gunner -

take a check on these pages :

Maybe some ideas on use and what to make will come to mind.

Martin (Green with envy)

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in news:LP%Kd.9094$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

snip

Yeah I have that bender also, drilled holes in the welding tazble to fit a custom plate made for the thing, when in use it is bolted to the table and removed after use. I have a full set of inst. but have yet to understand a 90 degree bend or how to do it using the dies. The ring roller is nice though.

granpaw

Reply to
granpaw

Gunner wrote: ...

Well, dirt I dunno, but you must have a vise mounted somewhere. I bolted mine to a sturdy piece of angle and clamp the free leg of the angle in my vise.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Download the manual for the HF version. The old version was terrible but it's been updated with better images and examples of making letters, etc.

To mount mine I set a square post in concrete outside of my garage and replaced the stand with a piece that fits over it. Now I just take it out and drop it on the post whenever I want to use it. I also have a small tire changer and plate shear that I can mount on the post when needed.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I got the benchtop version and bolted a T-shaped plate to its base. It gets clamped in my biggest vise, on a table bolted to a concrete wall. It fits under the bench when not in use.

Does the taller column on yours bolt to a flange that could do the same?

Reply to
Fred R

Hi, Gunner. I thought about getting into the ornamental metal business back in 1979 when we began planning to move to Central Oregon. I bought their guide book and a set of drawing templates. The price was $79.00 back then. After moving and coming to my senses, I realized I am not an artist and moved on to other opportunities.

I see they have a newer book and a lot cheaper. I will mail the whole package to you and if you think it's worth it, send me back a $20. It's just gathing dust here.

Free is a pretty good price, compared to their list prices!! Best regards, Paul in Redmond, Oregon

Reply to
pdrahn

downloading as I type this. Thanks!!!

Pretty darned good idea! Thanks again!

Gunner

Ill have to check. I think..think its welded on..but Ill darned sure check in a bit.

Gunner

Gunner

do a Web search for DiAcro. If I remember correctly there was a PDF on their bender. If you can't find it, let me know and I will seeif I can find the one I downloaded.

Chuck P.

Reply to
MOP CAP