Buffing Technique?

I just had to buff some aluminum trim plates I made, and I'd forgotten that it wasn't as easy as it sounds. I had a medium stiff felt wheel with some gray buffing compound recommended for aluminum. I tried to do a careful job of sanding out all the major scratches beforehand, finishing up with emery cloth. I managed to get a relatively nice shine, but only after a good bit of time at the wheel. The biggest problem was fusing little streaks of buffing compound onto the metal. Some places would just end up with a thin gray haze of compound, and it would come off OK. The fused compound had to be scrubbed off with a paper towel, and this left streaks of micro-scratches that had to be buffed out again.

I don't know if I'm using the wrong wheel, the wrong buffing compound or lousy technique (all three?). Maybe I'm letting the metal get too hot, or I have too much compound on the wheel. I have other compounds and some soft wheels (muslin?). I bought all this stuff eons ago, but haven't used it enough to remember what all I've got & why.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Stitched Muslin cloth wheel, tripoli compound.

Reply to
Tony

Very light touch, don't let any heat buid up. Aluminum oxides form quickly with heat and they are hard! Also clean muslin wheel often and apply little compound.

cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

I always had good luck shining up motorcycle parts with Simichrome on a soft muslin wheel. A little work would leave the average stock aluminum cover with a mirror finish. Bach when I was a biker, this is all anyone that I knew ever used.

Regards,

Bob

Reply to
Bob Edwards