Looking for info on Traub A15 screwmachine

Looking for info on Traub A15 screw machine or any single spindle, cam run screw machine. I found a nice one local for a good price that would be handy for some upcoming projects but really have no clue as to the intricacy of running the machine and setting one up, Any information would be most helpful.

Reply to
Wlf w Rose

Average value is around $500-1000 in good condition (West Coast)

15mm maximum bar size. Should include the bar feeder of course.

Are you equipped to cut your own cams or do you need to have the cams farmed out? I have some good sources.

Most are primarly now used as cutoff machines cutting off blanks but enough are still used to do screw machine work.

I fix them, but am not familiar enough with cam design etc to set them up. I have a number of shops in So. Cal that may give you a little phone time if you use my name when calling.

Where are you located? I may have some referals to Traub shops that may help you in your area.

Keep in mind that setup time may be 2-8 hours for an experienced operator with the proper cams. However..once set up..they will turn out literally millions of identical parts.

I also have access to Some Traub parts and tooling.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
Machineman

I should be able to do any odd job specific cams I need( 4 axis Taig CNC mill) but sources for off the shelf parts are always handy. Is the supply of Traub parts fairly good? Are some of the screw maching parts "universal" between manufactureres?

Chico,CA ~ Hour or so north of Sac. I do realize enough that the machine setup on these type machines in complicated and intricate but there is just something about the purely mechanical automation that is just "sexy"

Thank you all for the quick help and information

Reply to
Wlf w Rose

There are few new parts available at any reasonable cost. There are however a number of used parts sources as the machines get stripped out. Many parts are overhauled. Here is one good source

Its my pleasure. Ill check my files for shops in your area.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

That book is a MUST HAVE for a new Traub owner. Ebay has the other books in the set you really should have as well.

?ViewItem&category=12584&item=3829171953&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW Btw..I have two Strohms available that are absolutely georgious. I can give you the phone number of the owner if you would like. I dont think they will be cheap however. They were used IRRC to only cut plastic, with coolant.

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

I also strongly suggest dropping the question on alt.machine.cnc as there are a number of swiss machine owners there as well. One of those Id consider an expert is a gent named Matt Stawiki. He worked for Tornos for many years and has his own screw machine shop. A very nice fellow and most helpful.