Re: Cheapest Anvil ?

You could try a section of railroad track. Or go to a scrap metal yard and find a 3 to 4 inch round or square chunk of steel and set it on end into the
ground. This would would work with the ground level Japanese style forge your thinking about. Japanese smith worked sitting or kneeling. I would highly recommend you find a local blacksmith group and join it. The networking for knowledge and equipment would be invaluable. Go to http://www.forgeandanvil.com / They're based in Ontario. They have classes and equipment to sell. They sell Czech made anvils if you're ready for a real anvil. They're good people to deal with and it may be worth whiloe to chat with them. Good Luck! Rob Wichita, Kansas

least
I live in the Gta so any shops or scrap metal yards would have to be local.
I couldn't find the information I was looking for on the OABA website so I sent an email but I never got a reply, I guess their busy.
Any advice you may have one the location of supplies would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cfser

Vulcan wrote:

Sorry I'm down in Kitchener so I don't know much about the GTA shops or scrap metal yards you would want to visit. Visit some local blacksmith shops theyt can probablely give you some help (yellow pages or google). Ken
Check out a shipyard or naval scrapyard.the iron whatsits they use to tie up ships to the dock would make a great double horn anvil.and they come in a humongous number of sizes Paddy P