Showmanship was "Hello"

Howdy!!

As someone who is as "guilty" as the next man (probably even more so) as far as "Showmanship" as far as cutting things go..let me say this..

So far everything described here is fully within the realm of a good quality, PROPERLY heat treated blade. I have cut mild steel bars, hanging rope, rope thrown in the air and most anything and everything else. It is all in the KNOWING how to do it.

The "classic" cutting a hanging rope has more to do with the proper technique and speed than it does with the blade. I can show you how to cut a 1 1/4" hanging rope using a properly sharpened "Old Hickory" (a very VERY good quality kitchen knife by the way....) 8" chef knife..It's all knowing how to "attack" the problem.

However it is impressive to the "masses" as they say and 99 out of 100 folks have no idea at all as to what a good, high quality blade is capable of in the right hands. Will all blades do all things? No, that is like asking for a screw driver to do the job of a hammer... Knowing what you will be cutting and how to cut it is a big help in "Showmanship"..The proper blade edge and total geometry does play a major factor. One cannot expect a cold chisel to be a good razor just as you cannot expect a razor to survive being used as a cold chisel. The proper tool for the job is very important, especially when cutting is involved.

Like I said above..I am probaly more "guilty" of doing this sort of thing as anyone else. It's knowing what to use for what, THAT is the key to this stuff.

JPH

Reply to
atarbaktar

Just now read JPH's post after betting Forger, in another post, that the cable trick(?) will work. :)

I know how to tear a phone book in half, a guy showed me back in '79 ...been showing others how (that was interested) ever since.

------------

I remember you being into Old Hickorys and I like that style of knife too, about as simple as they can get. :) I've gone off at a tangent tho, making copies for a very specific purpose "edge holding while skinning and butchering".

I'm heat and cold treating them and leaving them at 66hrc (50100-B and 1095 at 325F) they hold an edge so much better it's easily noticed. Not as good of edge holders as the 64-65 hrc M2 HSS (power hacksaw blade) knives, but still, they are fun to make and use. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Ah, what a great bar trick. Usually gets my tab paid by someone...

mark h

Reply to
Mark Henry

Alvin:

On the 1" wire rope....and all..I called sypderco and spoke to one of their product develoupment folks and yes, spyderco knives have sawn through wire rope, the heaviest that the guy I spoke to knew about was

3/8" and it destroyed the knife, which I was told they gladly replaced. In fact if I remember correctly this was first mentioned in an advertisement on the back cover of "Knives Ilustrated" magazine (fall of 1995 I think). ("Knives Illustrated" BTW was the only magazine that ever did anything on me....) Let me hunt it up and I'll tell ya for sure...

Now cutting a 1" wire rope with a sword, with the wire rope hanging....I sorta doubt that. I would like to be proven wrong so,,,,, Knowing what it took to do an emergency cut on a piece of 3/8" wire rope with an axe..a sword on 1"...I'll have to see that....

On the Old Hickory knives....it was those and a K-Bar that got me into

1095. They really are decent knives and an excellent knive for the $$$. that is IF you are one who knowes how to properly care for high carbon non-stainless steel kitchen knives.

JPH

Reply to
atarbaktar

I would not want to be anywhere near the distance of the whipping and cutting edge of the cable as it flies in any direction it wants.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I'll stand on my original statement. Show me the video and I'll be a believer. Saying I'd like to see it is an understatement. Don't take much to get 10 or 15 seconds of digital video.

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

It was half inch 7x19 extra flexible, Atar. The add ran in "Blade" as well. '95 sounds about right for the time frame though. When it warms up, I'll go out in the shop and see if there's any of that cable left, and ask around if any of my few remaining friends have a digital camera that does 'movies'. Nothing sells these like the Demonstration, I'll see what I can arrange.

Charly

Reply to
Charly the Bastard