Staff weapon

Hi Guys,

Like this ?

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla

The message from Chilla contains these words:

That's not a weapon, it's a billhook, surely?

Where I grew up the sort with a handle usually had a tang, but those on a long stick (often called banging sticks) were socketed.

Reply to
Guy King

Charles, I have to agree, it does look like a "billhook" to me. Nice job.

Reply to
Rusty_iron

Hi Guys,

I agree that there are a lot of similarities, but this item is grouped with a selection of Dacian weapons.

It could be a bill hook mis-placed in a museum exhibit, I guess.

Anyway here's the whole picture I took it from.

Basically the Dacians used a lot of nasty hooked items.

A lot of weapons also had agricultural heritage.

Oh and I will be making a falx that you can see at the top of the same image.

Regards Charles

Guy K> That's not a weapon, it's a billhook, surely?

Reply to
Chilla

Thanks for the compliment Rusty :-)

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla

The message from Rusty_iron contains these words:

Certainly is.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Chilla contains these words:

I suspect that a fair few weapons of that era (and earlier) were adapted from agricultural implements since a lot of the soldiers and probably most of the smiths came from agricultural backgrounds and didn't have the wit or the interest to reinvent the hacker-on-a-stick device. Poking-thing-on-a-stick wasn't really something peasants needed a lot of so I suppose the spear probably has its root in hunting and soldiering.

The curved "sword" in that picture looks awfully like it's designed for reaping humans.

Reply to
Guy King

Absolutely correct. The falx is a powerful weapon.

A side note: although a blades rotation speed is the same, the point of a blade moves faster than at the grip, it's why a wheel goes faster on its circumference than at it origin.

"Speed = velocity x distance traveled."

---------

The Romans had two wars with the Dacians.

The first time the Romans fought the Dacians a lot of Roman limbs were ripped off, a very effective weapon. Most of the Dacian weapons depicted on Trajans Column have a wicked curve to them.

The second war the Romans came prepared, this is why Romans were so effective they adapted (sort of an Ancient equivalent to the Borg).

Anyway the second Roman-Dacian wars saw the Roman soldiers covered in gladiator armour, legs and arms were covered in segmented iron. The Dacians were conquered.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla

Having relatives that had large estates in old England when the Norse or the 'French' would come to fight - they were double handed sword men. Some workers used whatever they had to stop / kill / disable the 'Rape Pillage Plunder' types.

Mart> The message

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn