Staff weapon

Hi Guys,
Like this ?
<
http://members.optushome.com.au/charlesanderson/img/MySichel.jpg
Regards Charles

That's not a weapon, it's a billhook, surely?
http://www.dartfordarchive.org.uk/early_history/magnified/hulbury_billhook.html
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16277/16277-h/images/095s.jpg
Where I grew up the sort with a handle usually had a tang, but those on a long stick (often called banging sticks) were socketed.
--
Skipweasel
We have always been at war with Iran. [George Orwell - almost]
Guy King wrote:

I suspect that a fair few weapons of that era (and earlier) were adapted from agricultural implements since a lot of the soldiers and probably most of the smiths came from agricultural backgrounds and didn't have the wit or the interest to reinvent the hacker-on-a-stick device. Poking-thing-on-a-stick wasn't really something peasants needed a lot of so I suppose the spear probably has its root in hunting and soldiering.
The curved "sword" in that picture looks awfully like it's designed for reaping humans.
--
Skipweasel
We have always been at war with Iran. [George Orwell - almost]
Guy King wrote:

Absolutely correct. The falx is a powerful weapon.
A side note: although a blades rotation speed is the same, the point of a blade moves faster than at the grip, it's why a wheel goes faster on its circumference than at it origin.
"Speed = velocity x distance traveled."
---------
The Romans had two wars with the Dacians.
The first time the Romans fought the Dacians a lot of Roman limbs were ripped off, a very effective weapon. Most of the Dacian weapons depicted on Trajans Column have a wicked curve to them.
The second war the Romans came prepared, this is why Romans were so effective they adapted (sort of an Ancient equivalent to the Borg).
Anyway the second Roman-Dacian wars saw the Roman soldiers covered in gladiator armour, legs and arms were covered in segmented iron. The Dacians were conquered.
Regards Charles
Having relatives that had large estates in old England when the Norse or the 'French' would come to fight - they were double handed sword men. Some workers used whatever they had to stop / kill / disable the 'Rape Pillage Plunder' types.
Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Guy King wrote:

-

Charles, I have to agree, it does look like a "billhook" to me. Nice job.
Rusty_iron wrote:

Thanks for the compliment Rusty :-)
Regards Charles

Certainly is.