Mystery tool

My sister sent me this picture:

I don't know what the bottom looks like.
Any clues what it was for? I'm stumped.
- C
Reply to
Carl
Not familiar with the particular configuration, but it looks like a swage block to me. Todd
Reply to
Todd Rich
The message from Carl contains these words:
It's for making dwarf-bread hot cross buns.
Reply to
Guy King
Bottom die for a drop hammer ?
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Looks like it could be used for all sorts of things to me. I'm going to guess that it could be pretty useful for forge-welding a joint made by drifting one piece of bar stock and sliding another through it. Just a guess, though.
Reply to
Prometheus
it's a swage for welding chain. have fun, mark
Reply to
Mark Finn
When Carl put fingers to keys it was 9/10/07 11:32 AM...
'Nother picture:
The video I've seen of big chain being made didn't involve a swage. I don't see this working well for that, the 'grooves' don't run straight across, they dog-leg just a little.
- C
Reply to
Carl
Looks like a bronze for sale/sold bulk item. 25 pound square x 4. That is the bottom side of a pouring. Easy to break off 1, 2, 4, 8... and put them in the melt. Bronze was used for many things. It is beautiful, workable by the smith and meltable.
That would be nice to have if one was melting bronze and pouring custom yard art or faucets or handle .....The low temp steel that is beautiful.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Carl wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn