Mystery device

Hi folks,
I have this mystery device lying around. It appears to have been hand scrap ed, and looks more like a measurement tool than a pressing or forming devic
e. Anyone know what it is? It looks cool, but I'm trying to work out if it' s worth keeping. Here are two pictures. This is not a quiz. I really don't know:
http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/Mystery_Device1.JPG
http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/Mystery_Device2.JPG
Thanks!
Chris
On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 16:28:44 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy

They're both scraping masters. One for checking flat surfaces, the other for dovetails.
--
Ned Simmons

Am Samstag, 22. Februar 2020 02:33:25 UTC+1 schrieb Ned Simmons:

Thanks. So you put blue compound all over the surface and then gently drag the master over it?
Chris

Replying here because I had to open your reply in Google groups...
Yes, that's essentially how they're used. If you look into it you'll find endless advice on how exactly to spread the blue, how thick, how to wiggle the master, etc.
They do have some value. Search the sold listings on ebay for "camelback straight edge".
--
Ned Simmons

Am Samstag, 22. Februar 2020 16:43:47 UTC+1 schrieb Ned Simmons:

Sorry. I've been using Google Groups since my last machine with Netscape 7 died.

I think I might keep the masters now. I might like to use them one day, and they're rather attractive.
Any idea what brand of scraping tool is good, and how much a tool would cost? I'm guessing scraping works much better on cast iron than mild steel. Is that right?
Best wishes,
Chris
On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 16:34:11 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy

For scrapers see: https://www.mcmaster.com/metal-scrapers
For use... almost anything. Scraping bronze and babbet bearings was considered a skill in the old days :-)
When I was working in the trade I kept a small triangular scrapper in my tool box for deburring the edges of holes (along with an 8" double cut file for deburring outer edges of things :-)
--
cheers,

John B.
On 02/22/2020 04:34 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:

Well then it's a shame that you posted such gargantuan image files. I quit after I got about the upper 1/3 of Mystery_Device1.JPG on my screen.
Am Sonntag, 23. Februar 2020 02:47:42 UTC+1 schrieb Sea:

Alright, I'll try to scrape a bit off next time :-).
On 2/22/2020 7:47 PM, Sea wrote:

What's your download speed? I thing they only took about 1 second and way less than two seconds. I have a download of 60MBPs. Mikek
On 02/22/2020 06:59 PM, amdx wrote:

20Mbps. What's the file size of Mystery_Device1.JPG? I must have endured it for 30 seconds before I lost interest.
On 2/22/2020 10:48 PM, Sea wrote:

connection is only 10 Mb/s , it took almost a whole minute for BOTH files to download .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 8:15:32 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

Get off my planet! ;-)
On 2/23/2020 8:04 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 9:16:13 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

Get out of my Solar System! :)
On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 06:04:15 -0800 (PST), Michael Terrell

Get off my tiny crushed sea shells which act as my lawn!
--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
On 02/23/2020 05:15 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I get about the same speed this morning. Christopher said they're attractive though, I could be looking at something else. You Trumpy little dirtbag.

5Mbps here, and they loaded in 20 seconds max. CenturyLink once sold me 12Mbps internet, but when the tech looked, he said there were too many bonded pairs there and they wouldn't let him set me up. That was when I told them I was quitting telephone service with them, but keeping Internet ($35/mo). Picked up a StraightTalk phone for $50 and pay $15/mo for unlimited minutes and free LD. Much better than the $84/mo I used to pay to the scoundrels.
--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
On 2/22/2020 7:34 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote: ... I'm guessing scraping works much better on cast iron than mild steel. Is that right?
I've never heard of anybody scraping mild steel, but what do I know. My opinion is that mild steel is not stable enough to hold the precision that one is scraping for. CRS especially has internal stresses that would make it unstable.
On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 19:45:09 -0500, Bob Engelhardt

But "scraping" is simply the removing of small amounts of material with a "scraper". I've scraped babbet, bronze, cast iron and steel.
--
cheers,

John B.
On 2/23/2020 8:08 PM, John B. wrote:

You're right. I was thinking in terms of using the OP's straight edge to scrape machine ways, for instance.

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in