Mystery device

Hi folks,

I have this mystery device lying around. It appears to have been hand scraped, and looks more like a measurement tool than a pressing or forming device. Anyone know what it is? It looks cool, but I'm trying to work out if it's worth keeping. Here are two pictures. This is not a quiz. I really don't know:

Thanks!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

They're both scraping masters. One for checking flat surfaces, the other for dovetails.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Am Samstag, 22. Februar 2020 02:33:25 UTC+1 schrieb Ned Simmons:

Thanks. So you put blue compound all over the surface and then gently drag the master over it?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Replying here because I had to open your reply in Google groups...

Yes, that's essentially how they're used. If you look into it you'll find endless advice on how exactly to spread the blue, how thick, how to wiggle the master, etc.

They do have some value. Search the sold listings on ebay for "camelback straight edge".

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Am Samstag, 22. Februar 2020 16:43:47 UTC+1 schrieb Ned Simmons:

Sorry. I've been using Google Groups since my last machine with Netscape 7 died.

I think I might keep the masters now. I might like to use them one day, and they're rather attractive.

Any idea what brand of scraping tool is good, and how much a tool would cost? I'm guessing scraping works much better on cast iron than mild steel. Is that right?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

For scrapers see:

For use... almost anything. Scraping bronze and babbet bearings was considered a skill in the old days :-)

When I was working in the trade I kept a small triangular scrapper in my tool box for deburring the edges of holes (along with an 8" double cut file for deburring outer edges of things :-)

Reply to
John B.

Well then it's a shame that you posted such gargantuan image files. I quit after I got about the upper 1/3 of Mystery_Device1.JPG on my screen.

Reply to
Sea

Am Sonntag, 23. Februar 2020 02:47:42 UTC+1 schrieb Sea:

Alright, I'll try to scrape a bit off next time :-).

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

20Mbps. What's the file size of Mystery_Device1.JPG? I must have endured it for 30 seconds before I lost interest.
Reply to
Sea

  Oh quit being such a short-attention-span-whiney-little-bitch . My connection is only 10 Mb/s , it took almost a whole minute for BOTH files to download .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Get off my planet! ;-)

Reply to
Michael Terrell

  It's mine ! And my dick is bigger than your so I win . (sfsf)
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Get out of my Solar System! :)

Reply to
Michael Terrell

On 2/22/2020 7:34 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote: ... I'm guessing scraping works much better on cast iron than mild steel. Is that right?

I've never heard of anybody scraping mild steel, but what do I know. My opinion is that mild steel is not stable enough to hold the precision that one is scraping for. CRS especially has internal stresses that would make it unstable.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I think it's a problem on my end. Recently I started getting errors trying to open certain messages, haven't been able to discern a pattern.

Yes, cast iron is easier than mild steel. I don't have a lot of experience, and out of necessity much of it's scraping Turcite. I have a couple Anderson scrapers with tool steel blades. Sandvik makes carbide scrapers -- I'm sure there are others. Much of my early struggles involved proper sharpening, including getting the right geometry on the scraper edge and recognizing the difference between a dull tool and bad scraping technique.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

But "scraping" is simply the removing of small amounts of material with a "scraper". I've scraped babbet, bronze, cast iron and steel.

Reply to
John B.

Go find Keith Rucker on youtube. he and a few others are making camelbacks and other straight edges at the moment.

Reply to
Steve W.

You're right. I was thinking in terms of using the OP's straight edge to scrape machine ways, for instance.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

5Mbps here, and they loaded in 20 seconds max. CenturyLink once sold me 12Mbps internet, but when the tech looked, he said there were too many bonded pairs there and they wouldn't let him set me up. That was when I told them I was quitting telephone service with them, but keeping Internet ($35/mo). Picked up a StraightTalk phone for $50 and pay $15/mo for unlimited minutes and free LD. Much better than the $84/mo I used to pay to the scoundrels.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Get off my tiny crushed sea shells which act as my lawn!

Reply to
Larry Jaques