Mystery engine in NZ?

Gordon Banfield has sent me a picture of an engine that he can't identify. Neither can I. It looks a little like a Petter to my untutored eye. It can be seen at:

What does the panel think?

TTFN

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

I've looked at this several times, and I haven't got a clue. I would have thought Messrs Siddorn and Highfield would have some idea.

To show the full measure of my ignorance, that looks to me very much like a gas regulator on it, though plumbed to an odd spot.

Gordon, if you're out there, send Pete a photo from the other side, perhaps it will help the panel...........

Regards, Arthur G

Neither can I. It looks a little like a

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

thought Messrs Siddorn and Highfield would

a gas regulator on it, though plumbed to an

perhaps it will help the panel...........

Sorry Arthur but i'm as much in the dark here as anyone. I think someone mentioned when it was posted before that it appears quite early with it's IOE valve layout having an almost De Dion look about it (as do those 'external' holding-down studs). Not sure if the inlet is atmospheric though - can't see a rocker, but is that a push rod trying to hide behind the exhaust vavle spring? Pretty sure the 'gas regulator' is a coolant pump, Possiblt a marne engine?

Reply to
Nick H

I thank Arthur for his good opinion, but I can't be of any real help, I'm afraid. Please can we see some more pictures?

I've taken the liberty of doing a little work on the photo, purely to help me think, really

The first photo. See if that helps.

Inlet over exhaust and inlet pushrod actuated, certainly.

Whatever the "gas regulator" is, it is fitted into the cooling system, so unless it is LOX cooled .... I think it's a thermostat.

There is a lump that looks suspiciously like a distributor without it's cap - and it's in the right place to be skew or worm gear driven off the camshaft.

In the foreground next to the tappets is what appears to be an oil pressure indicator.

The crankcase appears to be "one sided" and to be flanged at the side away from camera. Is it open? It is dirty with oily gunge in a pattern that indicates it was used in a vertical posture - but there is what might be a petrol drip c*ck on the side of the manifold that could indicate a horizontal application at one time.

It might well be paint of course, but does that barrel have a corroded aluminium look about it?

To sum up, I'd agree with Nick. I'd stick my neck out and say a pre-First War marine application. What it's father's name might be, the good Lord alone knows. We are stumped for information about stuff made in the last

*fifty* years!

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

In message , Nick H writes

My first thoughts were a coolant pump and a marine (or marinised) engine, I must say. I thought perhaps a Petter - the shape of the crankcase metalwork and various other things just brought Petter to mind.

Reply to
Peter Scales

In message , Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton writes

will help the panel...........

Gordon has sent four more pictures, one of each elevation.

It looks a lot less like a Petter now :-(

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

Well, we know it a little better now, but aside from firming up on my "marine engine" opinion, I'm afraid I can be greater help. Shame its 12,000 miles away, I'd love to see it running ;o))

regards,

Kim Siddorn.