tempering help

I wish to make extended 5/8" dia pins for my HF Hossfeld bench type bender. Simplest plan I have is getting 5/8" dia X 5.5" cold rolled round stock. Is there a process I should do to heat treat these 3 pins so they won't bend ? Would stainless be better? More complex I have a car axle about 1-1/8" dia and have a machinist friend that would style them to my desires.... but I don't need anything that fancy. Lastly, I could most likely come up with a 1" dia torsion bar and make them from that. . .any ideas? . . . Mt_charlie

** Posted from
**
Reply to
theChas

I used grade 8 bolts. I bought bolts long enough that I could cut off the threads to make them just the right length. They, of course, already have heads so they won't fall through. If you bought W1 stock from MSC, you might not need to harden it at all.

"Cold rolled round stock" will probably be 1018 and therefore not heat treatable (hardenable) by anything but Rob Gunter's "Super Quench".

Pete Stanaitis

theChas wrote:

Reply to
spaco