Additional Machining Tips

With the Banquer Tip of The Week in the bag now and since the results have proven to be an overwhelming success with everyone, I wanted to
add a few of my own tips out here for people to try in their shops.
1. There are these ground steel things called Collets. They hold tools more accurately than endmill holders that use set screws to force the tool off center. These collets are tricky though, some may not fit into other style holders and collet nuts. Make sure you have the correct components. You will need a bunch of these for various diameter of the tools you may use in them.
2. I tried these things called Threadmills. They do the same thing as a tap does but they do it in a circular motion of some kind. No need for tension / compression holders either.
3. How fast can you feed a drill? Don't go by the suggestions in the manufacturers catalogs. Keep feeding harder until the chips pack in the flutes and it breaks. Put in a new drill, decrease the feed a little bit and there you go. Ta Dah. That's how fast you can feed a drill.
4. On that same note, did you know there are 3 flute drills now? It's the strangest thing I have ever seen work. They tell me there are endmills with as many as 4 flutes on them. I can't quite believe that, but it came from a good source so I'm going to do some research and get back to you guys.
5. All of this buzz about coatings is not worth the hassle to me. The only thing I want coated is my Ice Cream Cone, coated in Chocolate.
6. I am waiting for the new release of ASSCAM that I read about earlier in this group. I saw a review on it and someone said if you eat beans while doing the DEMO it's sure to be a Gas.
If anybody has more of these great Machining Tips you should post them on your blog (everybody has one today, right?) or add to this thread.
Good Luck Jon on your quest for making everyone in the world more effective in manufacturing. JR

Actually, not a bad idea, for long production runs.

6 flutes, yo, 6 flutes.

Yeah, chocolate coated endmills don't seem to last.

I feel reborn! I feel like a real machinist now!
--
------