Angle head

We are looking for a very small 90 deg angle head to mostly drill holes inside small pockets. We do have one but it is way to big for the job. It has to go in pockets about 2" wide and 4" long. Don't know if anyone makes something that small but I thought I ask. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry:

Have you looked at these?

BottleBob

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry:

Yeah, I thought the second one was pretty cool too. I'm not sure how that large ring keeps the body from turning. But you probably ought to check to see if they are still in business.

Reply to
BottleBob

I d>> Thanks Bob.

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry:

You're absolutely correct. It's powered by through the spindle coolant. I just quickly looked for small 90 degree angle heads and didn't read the fine print, or much of any print for that matter. Here's another company that makes the same kind of thing.

I've got two questions, how do you vary the RPM if you don't have control over your coolant through pressure, and how do you machine at different degrees if you don't have C axis spindle indexing capability and the only way to lock your spindle is with an M19 that only locks it in the same position every time?

But like you say, pretty neat idea if you can take advantage of it. Look at the keycutter one on the Eltool site.

Reply to
BottleBob

The only machines I've seen with M19 always accepted an angular command along with the M19.

M19 S200 ; Spindle at 200 degrees.

Are there machines that can only M19 to 0 degrees?

Reply to
Half-nutz

HN:

Well this is an interesting question. I don't believe the Fadal Controls we had can take an angular parameter. Here's a list of codes for Fadals. The M19 doesn't list any user changeable parameters.

Now Haas says the following about M19 for it's machines:

=================================================================== M19 (Orient Spindle) with a P or R Value ? This feature works on any vector drive mill. Previously, the M19 command would orient the spindle to only one position ? that suitable for a tool change. Now, a P or R value can be added that will cause the spindle to be oriented to a particular position (in degrees).

If a whole number is used for the value, the P command is used and no decimal point is needed. P270.001 (or any other fraction) will be truncated to P270. Also, P365 will be treated as P5. (Any Mill Control ver. 9.49 and above; any Lathe Control ver. 2.21 and above)

An M19 R123.4567 command will position the spindle to the angle specified by the R fractional value; up to 4 decimal places will be recognized. This R command now requires a decimal point: if you program M19 R60, the spindle will orient to 0.060 degree. Previously, R commands were not used for this purpose; only integer P values could be used. (Any Mill Control ver. 9.49 and above; any Lathe Control ver.

2.29 and above) ===============================================================

Not that I ever had much occasion to use a spindle orient feature other than for the carousel. I don't know if our Haas was new enough to have the P or R option. But this almost makes me want to go to the shop and try it out on both the Haas and Fadals. LOL

But here's another concern with using one of those 90 degree tools. The lugs on the spindle and the slots on the tool holders have a little clearance. How could someone be sure they would repeat to the same exact position on every tool change.

Reply to
BottleBob

Bob. I used orientation a lot on my mills with Heidenhain controls. I know this probably is not the best for a mill but occasionally we get a job where I do broaching inside pockets and I have to orient the spindle several times per part (almost like inside spline). With tolerance less than 0.001" I never had a problem with it not repeating correctly. As for rpm I don't know but there could be some kind of a valve for adjusting it. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry:

I've "shaped" corners and keyways with relief ground square ended tools. But I recall indicating them in, then tightening them rather than doing a controlled degree M19 orientation of the spindle. But that was on a Fadal. I seem to remember only "shaping" off .001-.003 at a time to avoid any possible brinelling of the spindle bearings. These were just rare one-offs.

One might be able to be installed, if the part quote would allow it.

Reply to
BottleBob

Reply to
Jerry

Hey Jerry, I'm making the old Heide 426 do things it never has, I think. The only way I can tap is in ISO. Works great. How do you orientate the spindle. I see the index readout on the screen & it moves as I hand rotate the spindle. I did a 35mm bore job for precision ball bushings +.0001-.0005. It does a dead spindle orient retract & moves x axis over slightly so the tool does not drag. I could not find the meaning in the manuals of the retract parameter

1-2-3-4, so I just experimented till I watched the screen readout & tool coming out of the hole. I had the 50taper 30hp spindle load meter at a wooping 25% using a full width 4" 6t face mill .200doc.(6061AL) It was groaning Love that sound of a gear drive head. I've been trying, unsuccessful, to get the boss to buy a spindle speeder. You can only do so much with 4k, but they dont like to go more than 3k for extended periods due to heat/oil seal issues in the head? They are all for another Hurcanator (Hurco).

cncmillgil

Jerry:

As I said in E-mail, that's one hell of a sticker shock there. You'd certainly have to drill a *LOT* of holes to may that puppy pay for itself. LOL

Reply to
BottleBob