Boyd Coddington Dead

Linky

mmcquestion

Dude could've used a diet.

Reply to
kurgan

Perhaps his HoloBarre wasn't working for him and he "Hogg(ed)" too much food.

In any case I'm sure you can find something more specific to say about his death like: You loved many of his designs. His shop did hack work. He seemed to be obsessed with making as much money as possible. He was better or worse than Fosse. At least he didn't have a balding head and a ponytail. His Hawaiian shirts got sickening. You met him and he was much less of an asshole in person. Every shop owner should act like he did. If this is the typical asshole who uses Mastercam I'm glad I use Featurecam. Who cares cars suck and everyone should ride a bike... something along these lines.

Jon Banquer San Diego,CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Liver failed...drinking too much and listening to morons with nothing to say.

CC

Reply to
CarCrazy666

His cars were OK. His show sucked. They were always trying to manufacture drama where none existed. As in, "if I don't finish this in time, I'm gonna get fired!"

Very transparent and poorly done.

Reply to
kurgan

IMO, a few of his cars were more than "OK". Some of his designs were truly great. Unfortunately many / most were nothing special and often they seemed to be hack jobs. Boyd seemed to put quantity before quality on many / most jobs.

I definitely agree with your assessment. Unfortunately most Americans have a very low attention span and can't handle the details that show how a job needs to be done so drama gets substituted to keep the vast majority of American's entertained. Substituting drama for detail is bullshit and it gets old really fast. Even more troubling to me is those who are technically talented and the low standards they set for the tools they use... and yes I'm referring to CADCAM here.

Jon Banquer San Diego,CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

I suppose it wouldn't generate enough revenue, but, wouldn't it be great to see a program that detailed the craft and avoided the drama?

Reply to
Jon

The only way I can see this happening is if public television is expanded and someone at PBS wants to create the kind of car show and or machine shop show that some of us would enjoy seeing. You and I will be dead and gone before Americans gets sick of worthless dickheads like American Hot Rods Duane Mayer who can go on forever about absolutely nothing of car craft significance.

Jon Banquer San Diego,CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

PBS wouldn't be needed.

Stuff like that will happen when the cost of production and distribution is cheap enough. It used to be 3 big networks. Now it's scores of channels. Someday it'll be hundreds, if not thousands, as the internet bandwidth increases to the point where it can stream high res video.

When that happens, there'll be all sorts of little botique channels that cater to narrow interests.

Reply to
kurgan

see a program that

There's a show called "Rides" on Discovery channel. They had an episode which documented all the work involved in building Chip Foose's latest Ridler show winner. There was also an episode which covered the restoration of a Deusenberg owned by Jay Leno. The show looks great on HD BTW......

"

"

Reply to
gordo