Can I buy an answer?

Protectionism via Import Taxes would be my guess....don't know about now but when I spent two years there they had huge, prohibitively high import taxes.
Tom
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 12:10:29 -0600, F. George McDuffee

I can't even remember the name of the company, or what they made. Seemed to me that these guys were pretty clueless. Management had just purchased two Tornos cam machines (M-4's IIRC) because they knew some of their parts could be made on them. The machines had been sitting there for 6 mos. or more, and nobody had any idea how they worked.
When they discovered that I knew how to set up cam machines, they were all over me for information. I sort of walked them through an imaginary set-up, but they had no cams or tooling. Let them know where to get cams, collets, bushings, tools, etc., and they even talked about having me fly up there for a few days training, but I never heard from them again.
I remember now, that wasn't 1985. It was the beginning of 1987, which was when I left Star. Guess that's why I never heard from them again:-)
Matt
Matt Stawicki wrote:

Did they wander around, looking for the RS-232 ports? And did you have to explain that the "cams" were not "computer aided drafting"? And that offsets were changed with a 6mm wrench?
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:32:01 GMT, "Tom Accuosti"

That was back in XT days. Couldn't tell you if they even owned a computer, and IIRC, CAD for the general user was futuristic.
They did want to know if they could cut their own cams:-/ Sure you can, but don't use that pedestal grinder.
BTW, not trying to be nit picky, but you use a 6.5mm wrench on the Tornos:-)
Matt
Matt Stawicki wrote:

That's right - bastards wanted you to buy Tornos tools instead of Craftsman.

If he sold B&S machines they would have to buy the "offset" tool kit of 5 brass hammers of different sizes. They are marked .001 .005 .010 .015 & F-IT...

F-IT. LOL! Now that was funny:-)
Matt

Leave the drill in the cat40 holder and walk over sharpen it while other tools are cycleing costs maybe 10 seconds of machine time and a couple minutes operator time.

Bob, When I was an electrical contractor I actually got pretty good at hand grinding drills. I used to do maybe 6 full fractional indexes at a time. Once I was at a customers site and they were cussing about not being able to drill some holes in structural steel. I looked at their drill bits then sharpened up a hand full. Every time I'd go back there they'd have a box of drills waiting for me!
Gary H. Lucas

BB, I bought the SRD in 1975 because they had a left hand attachment for my screw machine spots & drills, even if your good at hand grinding drills try a left hand one. (screws up your mind).
It's a good grinder but I just use it now-A-days for spot drills. Matter of fact I just remembered I have 6 3/4" 90 deg spots to grind was putting it off, you blew my Sunday <G>.
The Darex is an M4 (the one with two wheels) & it's nice in that I can grind any angle & do flat bottom drills on it. The split point is done on the right side. I don't think they make them anymore, I bought it in 1979. It's not that easy to use until you re-mark all the dials to where they should be. It like the SRD goes to 3/4".

Gee BB I'm lazy er than you I don't bother with anything under 1/4" & like you just buy a 10 pack. I have done 3/16 drills into a flat bottom only because I couldn't buy them.

Thats funny. I learned to sharpen Left Hand drills. Twist drills, and Half Rounds. I can make a little left hand drill look like new. But to this day, I cannot get a good point on a Right Hand drill:-)
Might have something to do with the fact that I'm Left handed. And I use an Agathon type tool grinder w/diamond wheels, where you grind on the side of the wheels. Using the left side of the wheel, and turning the drill in a counter clockwise direction is a natural movement.
Using the right side of the wheel, and turning the drill in a clockwise direction is something I just can't seem to do smoothly. Not too bad with a small drill that I can spin in my fingers, but I have a lot of trouble with larger drills where I actually have to turn my wrist. Always come out uneven and don't cut well. So I don't even bother anymore.
Matt
Why wrote:

DD:
    Lazy? No, no, no. You've got to use the correct "business-impact language". We're not being lazy, we're being "Energy and Human Resource Efficient".     Drills under 3/16" run about $1.00 each on average. It takes about a minute to walk to and from the drill grinder, another couple of minutes to actually fit the drill, grind, and split point it. Now if your shop rate is $60 per hour, that's a dollar per minute. So you've spent a minimum of $3.00 in time resharpening a $1.00 drill (with probably slightly less quality that a new one), AND taking time away from other more important shop activities like setting up or programming the next machine.     Sooooo, lazy doesn't enter into the equation. We are engaging in new paradigms of value added synergistic infrastructure transitions and orchestrating optimal profit-oriented stratigizing schemas.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Somebody has recently read some Six Sigma, 5S, or some other Lean Manufacturing literature (e.g. Kaizen, Kanban, etc), but I won't say who specifically. <g>
--
Black Dragon http://improve-usenet.org

"Yes, sir, the bowling ball nipple rings in black. Will there
Black Dragon wrote:

BD:
    Nawww. I'm just a job-shop rat, we're not into any of those systems of managerial double-speak. It was just something I cobbled together this morning when I woke up. Sounded better than "too lazy to grind small drills" though, didn't it? LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

BB, I'll try that on the Boss (Wife) next time I order cutting tools or a new CNC, it just might work....

Bob,
I see a bright future in management for you. Anyone that can use that many buzz words in a single sentence is destined to be a CEO at minimum ;-) Not wishing that on you by any means though. (Been there done that, got the pre-frontal lobotomy to prove it. MGMT. Not CEO)
Von
Von Pearsall wrote:

Von:
    Heh, see my post to BD. It was just an exercise in verbal diarrhea, and had no real meaning. <g>
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
<snip>

<snip> =========Quick question -- any reason you didn't use 3/16 end mills as drills?

Don't know about his particular case but I make flat bottoms vs. using an end mill when the hole is too deep for the end mill. Also most end mills won't leave a truly flat bottom.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

I would have to grind the end mill flat (needed to be flat) & the hole was 1.200 deep 1.100 was done with a reg 3/16" drill.