Can I buy an answer?

Why wrote:

DD:
    I'm left handed, but grinding left hand drills is downright UNNATURAL! <g>     I'm sure it would take some serious practice before I got the hang of it.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I've thinned webs by hand. And you're right, they work in a pinch. But getting the nice fine point you get on split points is next to impossible by hand. Also, my eyes aren't what they used to be, so I end up using a visor and have to stick my head in to the coolant spray, which I don't get too excited about these days (tool post type diamond grinder).
But then.......I guess it all boils down to my first response, I'm getting lazy:-)
Matt
On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 15:43:44 -0800, Matt Stawicki

===========Indeed it is.
I don't generally use 1/2-13 [my stuff is smaller] and when I do I use a screw machine length drills for clearence.
The #2MT shanks work fine in the lathe tail stock, but I seldom do anything that needs a 1/2-13 on a turned part. Still these are very nice TiN coated drills and the chips roll out with the Peugeot points with good surface finish. Wish I had a complete number/letter/fraction/metric set.
FWIW -- one of the students got a Darex Drill Doctor for Xmas and brought it to class for "show and tell." We played around with it [It comes with an instruction video tape]. His model did both 118 and 135 degree regular and split points, and it seemed to work very well. http://www.drilldoctorstore.us/drilldoctor2.html http://www.mytoolstore.com/drilldr/dd750x.html Lots of plastic parts but should be more than adequate for a home/hobby ship, if you have a reasonably light touch. No exotic grinds like the Relcon or Peugeot, just the regular conical.
Charlie Gary wrote:

Sumitomo. Period. For holes that size in steel, nothing else even comes close. And when they get dull, go look at http://www.awddrills.com for the world's best resharpening source.
KG
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:49:36 -0500, Kirk Gordon

==========Thanks for the link --- that's a drill pointer!

George, You do know that Kirk designed and built those machines right? So when he talks about drilling holes it is pretty good idea to listen closely.
Gary H. Lucas
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 17:35:19 GMT, "Gary H. Lucas"

=========Thanks for the information.
I didn't know that, but I could tell Kirk knew what he was talking about. Lots of smart people "what been there and done that" in this group.