chain saw sharpener

anyone use one of these?

cncmillgil

The FAQ says you can get 5 to 15 resharpenings before you have to replace the proprietary chain. What's wrong with one of these, for about $10?

Ned Simmons

This looks like a real bad idea to me. Get yourself a dremmel or die grinder and the right diameter stone. About as much skill involved as sharpening a drill bit.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Oh absolutely sharping a chain saw is a no brainier, but time consuming. A nice "new" 5/32 fine cut rat tail file + a small mill smooth file to take down the limit tooth top with a .02"-.03" gauge lower than the cutting tooth height. Just as drill sharpening a little trick like web thinning makes easier cutting. In the shop up on the bench under a light no problem 1/2hr job max.

But I was curious about the function of this Oregon contraption. How the hell does that thing sharpen with the chain running? Probably cost a hundred bucks? Another gimmick for the inept?

I just hate cutting into a tree with an old piece of barb wire or nail grown around it ya cant see till the sparks fly. ~~@~@()*{!@P~!!!!

Reply to
cncmillgil

Harbor Freight has their electric sharpener on sale right now. Don't know how good it is but it's cheap. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

They work well enough though the setup is fussy, like a Drill Doctor.

The Husqvarna filing guide is nice:

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

A "Rat tail" file is tapered. So you don't want to use one of those. A "chain saw file" is a straight cylinder.

"I only know what you said not what you meant"

...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

looks pretty fancy....tho it is my preference to sit down with a cold one and do it by hand. Takes bout 20 minutes and can be a very relaxing activity.

Reply to
Zymrgy

Junk, either learn to file or buy a decent chain grinder if you want to do your own. A file may not work if you work harden the chain by hitting rocks.

The other day I had to sharpen a loop too small to fit on my saw chain grinder and was pretty amazed at how well it came out freehand on an

1/8" resin bond saw gumming wheel.
Reply to
beecrofter

I like that. I wish I had one when I was chainsawing a lot. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk