Checking Internal Threads

What's a good material for molding internal threads which can be unscrewed so the pitch diameter can be checked with thread measuring wires which will work on both metal and plastic?

I'm thinking a fusible alloy (bizmuth, etc) and know it will work on the zinc die cast parts to be checked but no so sure about the glass filled nylon parts.

I'm working on a set of unscrewing cores for a used mold which was made somewhere else and have no history on the tool so I'm to work steel safe and tweak it in a later date. I'd much prefer to work to numbers I can measure than the wild ass guesses the halfwit (OK, they're not really halfwits, they're just stoned half the time) moldmakers on the job expect me to make based on how the parts fit on a socket head cap screw. Feh.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Well I'll be damned.

CERROLOW 117

Heck, that stuff will melt if left out in the shop in July. Much of the glass filled nylon we mold lives in engine compartments. I think we have a winner. :)

Thanks John.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Cerralow 136

Reply to
John R. Carroll

What's a good release agent?

I'm thinking PAM (spray cooking oil) ought to do the trick.

Reply to
Black Dragon

I don't think it wil be, but maybe. Use mineral oil, which is recomended. That's what is used to form musical instruments using this approach and it worked for me.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

And preheat your part to about 20 degrees above the eutectic temp of the casting alloy.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Mineral oil.

Got it.

This only proves once again this newsgroup isn't dead. Saved me an hour of web searching trying to wade through of plethora of different opinions from webspurts (like Cliff) who may or may not know what they're talking about.

Is hard to beat information from a trusted source. :)

Thanks again.

Reply to
Black Dragon