CNC knurling

I had to machine a new arm for my knurling holder to get it in the turret. Now I'm wondering what the best way is to get a good knurl. I am currently moving to Z with clearance in X, G0 to just before the rolls touch the part and then G1 X-0.375 F.01 to put the wheels on C/L of the stock, pause for 2 spindle rotations and G0 retract.

Is there a better way?

2 Roll pinch type knurl tool.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

wow, Nobody has a single thought on the subject? Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

2 revolutions might not be enough, depends on work material, how skinny it is and how far it's sticking out of the collet.
Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

3/8" 1018 steel. seems to work, just wondering if there is a better or preferred method. Remove 333 to reply. Randy
Reply to
Randy333

Had another job, 304 stainless. Broke 4 wheels, then found another supplier. Could not get a good knurl to save my life. Was using 20 pitch, then 21 pitch, second supplier did not have 20 TPI. Went back and got 25 TPI wheels. AHHH, good knurls. Job should have taken 6 hours. It took 3 days. DAMN.

I was at 0.800 with the 21 pitch, then at 0.812 for the 25 pitch.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

I just watched a guy take 3 weeks on a simple 1-2 day job. Dont be so hard on yourself. Most of your time was spent making phone calls prolly.

3 weeks, and we come in and pokey has the parts all spread out like a peacocks ass feathers. We are talking just won ww2 kind of pride. This guy is "typical" compared to his co workers.

Time means nothing anymore in our trade...so it seems.

Reply to
vinny