Debunking Seven Common CNC-Programming Myths.

"Myth No. 2: Programming offline is always faster than programming at the machine. There are times when it is faster to program at the machine than offline. This is often the case with simple workpieces, such as a part produced on a lathe that needs to be faced, turned, bored and cut off, or a square, milled part in which some holes need to be drilled and/or tapped. It=92s likely that the programmer could do the necessary programming for these parts at the machine in a few minutes. With an offline CAM system, on the other hand, it may take two to three times as long. The programmer would have to draw the part or import its rendering, generate the tool paths, postprocess the part and send the part information to the shop."

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Maybe for turning stuff this could be true, because I don't use a CAM system for anything like that, but for even the most simple mill parts, it would be next to impossible for a manual programmer to be faster than a CAM system, and very easy for him to make a mistake trying to do it quickly.

As long as the computer with the CAM software is near the machine, I can create the simple geometry, apply toolpaths with tools in the library for that particular machine with the correct feeds and speeds for that tool, post the program and load it to the machine in a minute or two max. I have program numbers 1 through 10 reserved just for such occasions.

Doing it at the control would at the very least, require walking around the back of the machine a few times just to figure out if you have the right tools and what pocket they're in.

Reply to
Joe788

With your massive debt load you won't have any CNC machines period if the economy has a hiccup.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

I know I will get flamed for this but I have to agree with the opinion that programming on the machine can be quite fast and sometimes program itself can run faster and neater than one generated by Cad-Cam. For last about 20 years I have been programming almost exclusively on the machine (mill ). Some Yasnac but mostly Heidenhain. The later specially is very convenient and user friendly. Using Q's (variables if you are familiar with Heidenhain)) you can quickly generate even very complex 3-D tool paths. I'm now programming everything with Gibbs because I run 5 axis mill for last year or so and some of the aerospace parts are impossible to program manually specially that often we don't even get a drawing, solid model only. We had people at our shop that programmed only on outside Cam. Even a simple hole would be programmed on a PC, put on a USB drive, transferred to the machine, tested and run. We use to joke that by the time they booted the computer we had the job done. That is Heidenhain. Yasnac it is not that nice but I still program drilling, tapping, simple milling straight on the machine. Another thing which is not that important anymore is that the same program made on the machine can be as much as 100 times shorter than on Cam. My opinion. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Just another lie from this lying, worthless, piece of shit who has no idea what I own or don't own. Can Joe788 prove any of this? As per usual no, it's just another one of his many, many lies.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

You didn't answer the question, yet again.

Reply to
Joe788

Your right you didn't answer the questions. All you did was add your usual twist and spin. Here are the questions yet again, scumbag.

What is your real name?

Where are you located?

What are you so afraid of you lying, chicken shit, little pussy?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
larryrozer

What twist and spin? Where are these "lies" that you keep blabbering about?

All you've done is cry about me quoting somebody else's post.

Reply to
Joe788

Genius.......PURE GENIUS !!

lil jonnie...You're My Hero.