Dovetail slide??

Is it possible (I guess it is a question of geometry) to make/machine a dovetail slide whose two halves are identical and the same part?

Bo-Ming Tong wrote:

If you mean can you make a male and female dovetail to fit to close tolerances the answer is yes, but is very dependent on machining skills.
Not a task for beginners.
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Do you intend that the two parts of the slide would be identical? Instead of having a male and female slide, are you looking for a single part for both sides?

Yes, I was intending to make 2 pieces of the same part and they would fit together as a dovetail.
I was thinking it might be a "double dovetail". The side profile may look like this, excuse the ascii drawing...
-------- | | | | |/| | | | | | |\| | | | | | |/| | | | | --------
Does this make sense? So that I can "mass-produce" this thing at a lower cost... :-)

It might work just great. It depends on what it is going to be used for, and how the parts are going to be made.
Can I guess, that the parts may be extruded? That is why having them the same will save money?
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:24:43 -0700 (PDT), Bo-Ming Tong

It shouldn't be a problem. Just a matter of adjusting the fit of the dove tails.
--

-JN-

Thanks! If I machine this out of aluminum, is there an alternative to grease or oil that can be used to lubricate but less messy?
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:29:52 -0700 (PDT), Bo-Ming Tong

Teflon coating perhaps? Maybe some sort of dry-lube. Anodizing might be enough. You definitely need some sort of lubing as "raw" aluminum against aluminum will seize up in a blink of an eye.
--

-JN-

J Nielsen wrote:

Sanford Hard Coat.
I kid you not, we used it on aluminum gibbs for 16 90lb P-20 slides in an injection mold and much to everyone's surprise it is holding up extremely well and cost considerably less than bearing bronze hardened steel gibbs.
Check with the plater for thickness and tolerance. Unlike anodizing it adds material.
--
Black Dragon

Silly is a state of Mind, Stupid is a way of Life.
Black Dragon wrote:

*bearing bronze OR hardened steel gibbs.

--
Black Dragon

Silly is a state of Mind, Stupid is a way of Life.
You could use Teflon impregnated hard anodize
BTW, I hope all of the load applied to the slides is holding the slide in the gib block otherwise the center gibs are going to wear quickly.
R. Wink
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:29:52 -0700 (PDT), Bo-Ming Tong

Ya you are right. It is 2 against 1 so the center gibs take the worst beating, right?
Bo-Ming Tong wrote:

I've heard good things about this nickel teflon plating:
http://www.microplating.com/HTML/nickel-teflon.html
A mold maker friend of mine swears by it.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling