Reply to
The Old Man

Absolutely. You need an adamantium tap.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

don't forget the Rocol...

Reply to
The Old Man

Note to wise guys: Machinable tungsten is quite common.

Reply to
J. Nielsen

yes, machining is but cold forming, well that's another thing...

a wise guy.

Reply to
The Old Man

I figured there was a 40-50% chance of it being a legit question...

With transparent aluminum now possible, how far behind can adamantium be? :)

Have a great weekend folks. I'm probably off until Mon.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Well Cliff, could you be form tapped? Too dense.

Reply to
Half-Nutz

Seems that really dense materials are generally soft -- lead, gold, and, uh, mercury. :)

But, tungsten is one of only 3 elements that are denser than gold!! Osmium, iridium are the other two. And it is really hard. Go figger.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Holy shit.... I think I set a record for the most mistakes made in a single sentence!!!! Tungsten itself is a hair *less* dense than gold, by .03.

But really, except for my omission of rhenium and platinium, iridium/osmium are the only "normal" elements heavier than gold.

However, Some of the estimates, like for hassium, are incredible -- 41 gms/cc!! I assume this is because the half-life is so short, or so little can be made

This is a web-treasure! wow.....

This particular graph shows that tungsten is the 3rd hardest naturally ocurring element, exceed only by chromium, and #1: Boron!! wow....

This graph also shows that hardness is itself a periodic property, ie, occuring in a pattern according to the periodic table. wow....

Interestingly, density is also a periodic property!

But, strangely, density and hardness, altho both periodic, don't necessarily correlate, which is weird. Lead, gold, mercury are very soft. But, this table shows that the densest materials (tungsten, tantalum, rhenium, iridium, osmium) are very very hard. Ergo, iridium = lab standard!

Interestingly, Group I, the "pure metals", are super-light AND super-soft -- lithium, sodium, potassium, cesium.

But elswhere, not so good. Group IIIA has boron (THE hardest), and then aluminum. Go figger....

Most properties of elements are, in fact, periodic, altho one would have to overlay them all to see relationships among the periodicities.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Can you form tap tungsten? I need to put a #6 tap into the edge of a plate, and would rather form it than cut it.

Reply to
tnik

yea, I thought so.. figured it would be too dense to form tap. Didn't hurt to ask tho..

I think the adamantium tap was my favorite answer tho.. thx for the laugh Joe :)

Reply to
tnik

lol

Reply to