Form tapping tungsten?

Can you form tap tungsten? I need to put a #6 tap into the edge of a plate, and would rather form it than cut it.

yes, right.

Absolutely. You need an adamantium tap.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

don't forget the Rocol...

Note to wise guys: Machinable tungsten is quite common.
--

-JN-

yes, machining is but cold forming, well that's another thing...
a wise guy.
The Old Man wrote:

yea, I thought so.. figured it would be too dense to form tap. Didn't hurt to ask tho..
I think the adamantium tap was my favorite answer tho.. thx for the laugh Joe :)

I figured there was a 40-50% chance of it being a legit question...
With transparent aluminum now possible, how far behind can adamantium be? :)
Have a great weekend folks. I'm probably off until Mon.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Well Cliff, could you be form tapped? Too dense.
Half-Nutz wrote:

lol

Seems that really dense materials are generally soft -- lead, gold, and, uh, mercury. :)
But, tungsten is one of only 3 elements that are denser than gold!! Osmium, iridium are the other two. And it is really hard. Go figger.
--

Mr. PV'd

Mae West (yer fav CongressShill) to the Gangster (yer fav Lobbyist):

Holy shit.... I think I set a record for the most mistakes made in a single sentence!!!! Tungsten itself is a hair *less* dense than gold, by .03.
But really, except for my omission of rhenium and platinium, iridium/osmium are the only "normal" elements heavier than gold.
However, Some of the estimates, like for hassium, are incredible -- 41 gms/cc!! I assume this is because the half-life is so short, or so little can be made

This is a web-treasure! wow.....
This particular graph shows that tungsten is the 3rd hardest naturally ocurring element, exceed only by chromium, and #1: Boron!! wow....
This graph also shows that hardness is itself a periodic property, ie, occuring in a pattern according to the periodic table. wow....
Interestingly, density is also a periodic property!
But, strangely, density and hardness, altho both periodic, don't necessarily correlate, which is weird. Lead, gold, mercury are very soft. But, this table shows that the densest materials (tungsten, tantalum, rhenium, iridium, osmium) are very very hard. Ergo, iridium = lab standard!
Interestingly, Group I, the "pure metals", are super-light AND super-soft -- lithium, sodium, potassium, cesium.
But elswhere, not so good. Group IIIA has boron (THE hardest), and then aluminum. Go figger....
Most properties of elements are, in fact, periodic, altho one would have to overlay them all to see relationships among the periodicities.