Hardened D2

Anyone have a few good surface Speeds for Hardened D2?

6-8 inc Dia. 1.25 ID

Have a 25HP Fortune Slant Bed Lathe Kenametal Tooling Have Bought PCBN Inserts.

This is a Die that The Management wants me to Turn instead of Grinding due to the Turn around time from our Grinding Shop

any Help would be appreciated

Capt. Larry

Reply to
lflongo

What does Kennametal suggest for the insert?

Reply to
reidmachine

it would be far smarter to turn them soft then harden and grind to size

Reply to
raamman

All Kennametal gives you are Max feeds and speeds, I need to get a GOOD Finish and I figured that someone here has sone it

Rockwell 58-60

Capt. Larry

Reply to
captainlarrylongo

The guys that can answer seem to be at the trade show this week.

Do a search in this group on "Hard Turning" or "Hard-Turning.

Specifically look at posts from JRWheels, DMurphy and/or Anthony.

I remember something recently in an off topic or different topic thread about hard turning, don't think it was D2 specific but still some good tips. JRWheels was recommending a new insert grade, Dan or JR said something along the lines of using a ground insert (not molded), 200 SFM, making sure depth of cut is 2/3 of insert radius minimum, etc.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Suggest phone Kennametal tech support--good knowledgeable folks there in my experience.

Reply to
over a barrel