Is the HARDENED epoxy toxic?

Hello!

A short question only. Everyone says that epoxy is toxic and carcinogens, but when they state that, they think of NOT hardened epoxy. And what about the hardened epoxy? Is that toxic and carcinogens? Can I use it to glue and coat the wooden toys for my children? Since they are small children, I expect that they will hold these toys in their hands for a long time, day after day. The younger one will probably even put it in his mouth. So not even a small skin irritation is acceptable.

Tobias

Reply to
toba

I would consider it safe. There are numerous examples where epoxy resins are approved by the FDA for food contact. Reminds me of lawyer that was quite concerned that known carcinogen, ethylene oxide, could be used. Once in polymer form, carcinogenic epoxy function is gone or at worst bound to a high molecular weight inert polymer. By coating, sounds like you're using as paint. You don't want to push your luck. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

It is an interesting topic! But the anwerew are sad. At least for me. I was thinking about using epoxy in decorating female dresses, shirts. I thought to use epoxy to glue the pearls to the textile. But it would mean that epoxy would be in a prolonged contact with the skin. Does someone has any idea what would be safe to use instead of epoxy? I would be grateful for any help.

Neman

Reply to
Neman

Well an answer can only be as good as the question.

"The" epoxy does not exist. Horizontal parts of highway bridges lean on oil filled flexible dark brown or black epoxies, which are definitely not fit for consumption. Clear pigmented highly chemical-resistant industry floors are epoxies as low viscosity impregnating systems are. Not to mention glues.

A "basic" epoxy resin should be prob free. Here i am referring to a system of bisphenol-A-diglycidyl ether and a standard diamine like

1,6-diaminohexane or isophorone diamine should be not toxic in the cured state. Temperature cured hydroxy-, anhydride- and other systems should even be less critical.

Additives, fillers, pigments, stabilizers, surface smoothing agents and other components might change the toxicity in a wide range.

Furthermore are age and storage conditions of the resin components very important for the quality of the cured epoxy and therefore the quantity of low molecular weight (possibly toxic) components in the cured resin.

Reply to
dave.lister