How much stock do you leave for finishing?

Pretty generic question I know. I'm just curious how close I am to the norm. Sometimes we live in a box and don't realize it.

I've been leaving .002 on hardmilling, .001 for hard lathe, .0001 on surface grinding, .0003 on side wheel grinding, .010 for bridgeport milling, .003 for edm, .0002 for dedtru cyclindrical grinding, .01 for reaming, .004 for soft milling. I havn't used a roughing cobb mill in a few years so I can't remember what I left...do people even use them anymore?

Reply to
vinny

I'll throw a cobb mill in when I can, especially when I need a long cut and don't want all those slivers that a regular endmill will produce..

As for stock, we only soft mill. I wish we had a machine that could handle HSM.. When I program for the guys, I tend to leave .01 - .015 per side on the mill, just in case. Once everything is proofed (at least I do this) I'll comp out my roughing tool and get it closer to .005 per or a bit less. I guess it would also depend on the type of material, length and dia. of the tool, etc.

Reply to
tnik