CNC Taper Question

ISO20, ISO30, HSK63, HSK100, BT30, BT40, CAT30, CAT40, CAT50... Name a few yourself if you can as I'm sure there are a few others.

What are the most common here in the US? I'm thinking the CATxx series but I'm still learning about these buggers.

Context: This is going to start sounding like an ad, but that is NOT my intention as you can see from the history of my posts here in this group... We are going to start selling lower cost, high quality aggregate heads if I can solve some of the adapter issues. I'm right at the threshold of doing so but the choice now exists as to how we will solve this best.

My challenge at this time is choosing the top adapter / taper choices to be made available in the first year when we will be selling for less as a semi-beta test of the product, etc. After we have reached a high confidence level, we will offer 'em all but charge more.

Figuring out the most likely and reliable tapers to offer now is my goal.

Thoughts?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Hi Joe, I can't speak for anyone but me, but the tool holders I've seen everywhere I went are CAT40 and CAT50. CAT40 will fit in a BT40 spindle, if that helps.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Joe, I would think CAT would be the most popular followed by BT. You didn't list R8 which is also popular. Not sure if you missed it by design?

On a different note I saw this article in the latest edition of Modern Machine Shop and thought of you and your chip breaking problem in a previous post.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

R8 solved. No issues there and have been selling that for years. ...Just can't do the tool changer / autoload thing with an R8 machine whereas we are solving that with the CATxx, etc.

Steve - I appreciate it and will check that out!

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

It wouldn't matter for my application (this would work great I'd think) but I wonder what this does for the surface finish on a critical part...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Maybe with it pecking so lil and so fast the finish wouldn't be compromised?

I would like to see it in person tho, We've been using gun drills more and more lately and doing a regular peck cycle sucks ass but sometimes with the bigger drills we have a problem with the long chips on a straight plunge.

Reply to
tnik