K&T/Milwaukee #2 service question

Client buys a rather nice looking #2 Milwaukee horizontal mill..but the feed clutches is slipping.

Rapid traverse works fine in all axis..but any feed tends to slow down and stop.

Any idea how to adjust this?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Just guessing here. Re-lube the ways? Rapid has enough inertia to overcome the sticktion, and maybe warm up the grease, to keep moving?

ca

Reply to
clay

No...thats not the issue. The splined feed shaft that runs from the gear assembly that connects between the knee and the internal vertical feed shaft inside the fly wheel housing slows and stops when the feed stops. So its a clutch issue or a worn our gear...they didnt use woodruff keys.

On the side of the housing is a square plate that says "Remove cover to adjust RT Clutch" (rapid traverse), but no other obvious place to adjust feed clutch which has to be connected to that horizontal shaft.

I cant find a book on the unit...20 or so folks Ive contacted so far who may have one..dont or cant find theirs

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

So, it has two clutches, one for rapid, the other for feed? Or, is there just one clutch, with a different gear selection for the high/low speed? Actually, this suggestion will probably work in either case, if you have good visibility of the works. Shut off the motor and turn it over by hand. You may be able to see exactly where it is slipping at hand speed. I'm kind of guessing that there is only one clutch, and that a gear is slipping. If they didn't use keys, then there must be some kind of locking hub, maybe that needs work so it can grip better.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I`ve got a feeling that there only is a rapid traverse clutch in there and in the centre of the clutch is a sprag clutch.It drives through the sprag for feed and for rapids the sprag freewheels.Hard to explain but quite common on mills.Acme Gridley multispindle lathes used a similar setup for feed and rapids only they called it a three roll drive as opposed to a sprag. Mark.

Reply to
mark

Might check the rotation of the main motor. Even though your spindle is reversible the feed system is designed for one direction, powering it in the opposite direction makes it do weird stuff.

Reply to
Tony

Flywheel is plainly marked with a direction arrow..and it is indeed running in the right direction. The gear lube pump wont work if its running backwards..so thats a big first check to do when hooking them up.

Ive worked on these before..but never the power feed and the last one I stripped down to use the machine for a cam cutter..I dont remember the feed stuff

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

OK, so the normal feed is through an over-running clutch. Then, there may well be something wrong with the sprag, maybe a weak or gummed-up spring, or at worst, the sprag is worn down so it doesn't grab the teeth.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson