looks like ill be milling again... so lets get some mill chatter going!!!

Get it? mill chatter?
You guys are too serious.

Well Vinny if you have mill chatter it's probably too deep a cut,too slow cutting speed,or your dammed mill is worn out. That could be true on either manual or cnc.
Do you have something against worn out machines ? That's all I have. You work around it. Use cheaper endmills(HTC/Hotmills tougher carbide/coating) more tolerant of runout . Interpolating a hole ? Just add a finish pass conventional milling to take the egg out ! Although to be fair I do small runs of mostly mild steel, some 304/316SS but manage to stack up a lot of parts each day.
On 10/7/2014 4:53 PM, Just Me wrote:

Ive been running three beat wire machines, one dating back over 20 years. But... At one time long ago they were the shiiiiit, so...you fix what you can...clean, fix,clean,fix,clean, and before you know it...you are holding a tenth in style.
Now if your running an old enco mill, I don;t know, new enco's get worn out in shipping.
Worn out is too relative a term. I did run a brand spanking new bridgeport once, flycut'd with it all night. It was the best sex i ever had. The chips were in the perfect shape of a 6, or was it a 9, I cant remember.
On 10/7/2014 8:55 PM, vinny wrote:

I'm responsible for 4 mid 90's Leadwells a Late 80's? Leadwell and 2 "other" mills . All are nearly used up.Plenty of backlash, some of the spindle tapers are horrible. Servos sure are crazy stout on the Leadwells though. If you aren't careful when you have parts hanging "through" the enclosure they will double as a press brake. No overload, not even a grunt, you just notice when the enclosure starts rocking around.

The 80's produced such junk, cars, machines, etc...yet at the same time, theres a few machines from the 80's that were way ahead of their time.
good luck lol