is graphite dust poisonous?

From what I can read from google, the answer is absolutely not.
From seeing graphite guys grinding it for 30 years and having no adverse
effects, it seems safe.
And from personal use, in very confined areas I feel nothing out of the ordinary.
Yet...we had a safety meeting and they say wear a good mask or lose lung capacity. I disagreed. (how dare me question experts)
The stuff is made of carbon, and its graphitized. Kinda like heat treating steel, it just changes the structure, not the contents. And carbon is harmless considering ALL living things are riddled with the stuff.
But is the dust harmless?
My theory, in lower doses its proberbly good for you, absorbing crap in your lungs and then absorbed or coughed out.
So now we have all these people walking around with masks to block the carbon.
What do you guys think? I bet is worse to live near a beach with the silica in the air.
vinny wrote:

Just don't eat coal.... :)

OSHA has really been cracking down on any sort of dust.
Here's the CDC standards for it: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0306.pdf
I'm sure the cases outlined are outliers, but it seems reasonably nasty.

--
Les Cargill

<snip>

===================While most likely somewhat less hazardous than coal dust as it is purer, most likely will still induce "black lung disease." http://tinyurl.com/2fxt6qn
note that you may cough up *SOME* of the carbon dust, but most remains in the lungs, and accumulates over time. Many traditional people also have this problem because of smoke filled huts due to lack of chimneys or flues and heating/cooking with open wood fires.
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 21:22:24 -0500, F. George McDuffee

100% correct. There are rural folk in South America with rampant lung issues from similar airborne contaminants. The solution we have been helping them learn about and implement is better ventillation. ...They don't have access to or a desire to wear masks all the time.
--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
On 10/20/2014 8:50 PM, vinny wrote:

I think you should stop trying to smoke it. It will clog your pipe.

lagit thread. what is your malfunction?
On 10/23/2014 6:17 AM, vinny wrote:

Oh my god, he's crying.
You're the number 2 troll and number 1 hypocrite here vinbozo. We all know it little man. Do your cry babying to someone else.
> You're the number 2 troll and number 1 hypocrite here vinbozo. We all

"Hi everyone, I bought bobcam for 600 bux to show my job they need to get some cad cam and teach me. However it was in vain, I guess they just want me to keep running the saw. But all I want to do is learn how to drill holes so I can be like my hero jb. I hate them, they are so mean to me".
Yah, Im a troll. Ive participated in pushing many over the edge, and even removed alt.romath in a troll war. The nickname I got was "vinny the land mine layer". This is a mans playground, just like in the shop. Its our duty as toolmakers to push those teetering on the edge over that edge. Your on that edge, and the temptation is becoming too unbearable to ignore. However, I play nice in this group. But I dont have to. If everyone wants to see you implode, fuck, ill do it. My home is alt.hackers.malicious, and I'd call in the team, except these guys in here are trying to be lagit, and I appreciate that.
Keep poking at me missy and "Allen" will start posting some fucked up shit from alt.abortion to alt.skinheads, and the whole group will turn on "allen". Allens neibors will be contacted from the child protection agency allerting them to the fact a pedophile lives next door. A simple google search can confirm my ability to do so.
ALL I need is someone to double dog dare me, and I will remove allen from alt.machines.cnc.
Waiting for responce... The weekend is almost here, so make your move so everyone can get some popcorn and watch.
Here's my resume... http://togaen.com/nambla/www_nambla_org.html https://groups.google.com/forum /#!topic/alt.hackers.malicious/PTESakSvewc http://forum.rottentomatoes.com/topic/show/1916268 https://groups.google.com/forum /#!topic/alt.perl/xGcnYmsjZ9Y
I consider myself a usenet warrior. If you want to go to war allen, Im sure the folks in this sleeping group would appreciate the show.
alt.hackers.friggenbozo Thats my war room. Been empty tooooo long.

If your being filtered by google, cut and paste the links into your web browser.
On 10/24/2014 6:20 AM, vinny wrote:

One more thing my brainless wonder. $600 is not 1/3 of $1000. You not only can read or spell you can't do simple math.
You're one retarded shit vinny.
:)
On 10/24/2014 6:14 AM, vinny wrote:

No vinny, you are a simple minded little man. Nothing more. You are so full if crap we can smell you vinny. You have no life and are incapable of spelling, reading and comprehending simple things in general. You're a self admitted racist and most are most likely mad at the world. The fact that you actually believe this BS is purely amazing.
What is plain to see here vinny, is that they're right about you being unstable and we believe you ARE about to crumble. As a matter of fact we are witnessing it now with this psychotic rant.
I'll poke at you vinbozo and their ain't shit you can do about it troll. You are all mouth as usual vinbozo. ALL MOUTH.
I bet it's you that spends hour after hour drilling holes because you sure don't seem to have half a brain to be capable of anything better.
Now run little one, run away and crawl back under that rock where you obviously came from.
Wahahahahaha.........