Moore Tool Company [repost]

Newsgroups: alt.machines.cnc
Subject: Moore Tool Company Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 16:02:02 -0400
This post is for archival purposes, the information contained within
should be permanent public knowledge.
A number of times in the past the issue has been brought up about whether machine tool and software companies monitor this Usenet newsgroup, alt.machines.cnc, and care about any good or bad "press" they may get here.
There is at least one machine tool company which took real life action on a posting made here they didn't like. The post was made by me, and the company was Moore Nanotechnology Systems, LLC.
http://nanotechsys.com/AboutMooreNanotech.html
Quoted below is the relevant portion of the post I made that Moore took exception to. It was in a thread titled "IMTS 2006 by the numbers" which had drifted off topic to the subject of PC based machine controls in a sub-thread.

The repercussions of that seemingly innocuous post were as follows:
1) Although I post using a pseudonym and never mentioned who I worked for Moore figured out who had the machine I was talking about based on the specific problems and circumstances I mentioned. The machines are sold in, apparently, a very niche market and there are so few of them in the field they were able to narrow it down with ease based on my single post.
2) For the better part of nearly two weeks after I made that post Moore stopped responding entirely to support requests without any hints at all as to why they stopped.
3) After the situation was investigated by the people running our shop a copy of my post quoted above shows up in my superiors email boxes as the reason why Moore wasn't answering the support calls. They were upset that "we" would do such a dastardly thing to them, making them look bad in public.
4) Promises were made to Moore it wouldn't happen again, and I was reprimanded. Was told not to post anything else anywhere that might harm the relationship my employer has with Moore even though I may do it pseudonymously.
5) Support and relationship with Moore restored, work forges ahead.
What were they thinking? That they were going to get away with censorship by using politics?
Suggestion to Moore Tool Company: Grow some skin, the thicker the better.
Suggestion to anyone looking at Moore Nanotech diamond turning systems: take a look at Precitech systems as well, they may not be so sensitive about a bit of warranted criticism if needed.
http://www.precitech.com
--
Black Dragon

Girls who throw themselves at men,
Black Dragon wrote:

<smile>
Good to see that you learned your lesson and are now complying completely with your employer's wishes.
I have to wonder, though, why a reprimand for you was ok, seeing as how you did so much harm with mere words; but similar action toward Moore wasn't deemed appropriate, when they apparently did real financial harm to a customer (in your opinion, at least) by the way they designed and built their machine.
As I said recently in an unrelated thread, we really do tend to shoot the messenger. It's a bad habit, I think.
KG

Not if you're the messenger.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA http://www.jonbanquer.blogspot.com /

Kirk, I tried to send you an email at your address in your profile, but it bounced back. Can you shoot one over to me whenever you get a chance?
On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 16:09:03 -0400, Kirk Gordon

----------- When the boss rewards "rosy scenarios" and "groupthink" that's what he gets, at least until the last scene in the last act, e.g. Rick Wagoner.
It's a bad habit only if you intend to [and can] do something about the problem(s). If your intent is to "game the system," "take the money and run," and leave someone else "holding the bag," it makes perfect sense, is a logical course of action, and is a "survival strategy."

Start a blog and really help Moore Tool Company "Grow some skin, the thicker the better".
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA http://www.jonbanquer.blogspot.com /