Multi-flute End Mill

To All:
6 or 8 flute end mills have nothing on this puppy.
http://americanmachinist.com/304/Issue/Article/False/79326/Issue
Check out the pics of the "Mega-Flute" end mill. The 2" dia. cutter is supposedly used in finishing titanium at 100 IPM.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

=========Thanks for the article.
Any idea about typical price? I'm not in the market, but just nosy. Looks like a "spicy meatball" but the metric is total cost per cu-in material removed.
That bulkhead don't look too cheap either.
Is the bulkhead from the solid? May redefine "billet machined"....
✖
On Mar 28, 11:41 pm, F. George McDuffee <gmcduf...@mcduffee- associates.us> wrote:

hilarious, raptor mill, dreamcutter.....now we need at stealth mill, an x-cutter and I'm sure others can provide more interesting names
Add pictures here
✖
=hilarious, raptor mill, dreamcutter.....now we need at stealth mill, an x-cutter and I'm sure others can provide more interesting names
=Whats hilarious is your posting from Google and went through lots of trouble eliminating control characters in order to respond to someone that most regulars here have killfiled long ago.
That said, use inserted and go balls to the wall bring within .005 or less and then you'll find that with those tools and the light doc you can increase sfm as well as traverse rate very substantially while still geting an excellent finish.

✖

I have used EMs similar to that, perhaps 10 years ago. They were much smaller, 1/2" to be exact. I can't recall the name of the manufacturer. One thing I found was that coolant flow is critical. The flutes are so shallow that material can easily get stuck in them. Once that happens they chip and are useless. It looks as if there are coolant ports along the EM in the upper picture. It would not be easy accomplish that on an EM such as that in the lower pic. However, I am using coolant fed carbide drills .1719 w/30X diameter depth capability, which I bury in D2 @ 40 IPM so I suppose anything is possible. -plh
--
Where are we going and why am I in this HAND BASKET??

Add pictures here
✖