Westec?

So what was new or interesting at this year's Westec?

We are swamped with work (I even had to go in on my normal day off), so didn't get a chance to make it this year.

Reply to
BottleBob

Doesnt it start Monday?

Ill be there Tuesday.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner:

Well, on further checking, you're absolutely right. I thought it was held the last week of March. I might still have an outside shot at going then.

Reply to
BottleBob

I was thinking I'd take a quick tour. There ought to be some new toys to look over.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Me

1) Took some parts with me to look at inspection options. The Brown & Sharpe OPTIV Classic w/ Touch Probe option & Rack (6 probe tool change positions) looks like a good fit for us. Had them setup and inspect some critical dimensions for me on the spot, in a word "impressive".

Primarily uses three different light sources to measure. First light source measuring machine I've seen that can measure in 3D (with the light source and camera alone). Add the probing and probe rack option and possibly 4th axis it is a complete and compact package for us.

2) Rego-Fix powRgrip tool holders and hydraulic press. Bought the system a few months ago, awesome system. Just from tool savings alone, full payback for the entire system (tool holders, collets & press) should be less than a year. 1st holder use gauge pin, press fit into holder, took to machine tool and checked run-out with .0001" indicator, the needle didn't move (at all). Put in first tool, 1/2" 3 flute carbide EM, 1-1/4" FL, 2" projection, (Gauge length is about 5.150"), .0001" indicator, checked just under collet needle didn't move. checked each flute at cutter end could detect no difference is size. That was a couple months ago, tool still in machine, still using daily on production runs, Volumill roughing cycles (up to 1" DOC, 30% Radial DOC, normally 320 IPM) and finish profile cycles.

3) Big Daishowa, Big Plus "Mega Micro Chuck" , Bought about 30 of these holders as well. Mostly 105 & 120 mm gauge length. again awesome holders for small diameter tools, expect payback within a year. Again like the Rego-Fix, checked tools in machine with .0001" indicator and can see no run-out (zero). Nice feature, no flat surfaces such as collet nut, coolant on tool and it stays focused on tool even at highest RPM's.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr