Nanotechnology

I thought I read on this group that Moore was a dying company. Is kind of hard to google the group for "Moore" thanks to all the imbeciles cross posting their off topic political effluvia here, so I gave up.

I had a tour of a mold shop [*] this week whose specialty is optical work, and I was most impressed with their diamond turning lathe and what it is capable of producing. That is sub micron accuracy and better than mirror finishes without any polishing. I was also impressed that it is capable of turning a cross section of a torus.

The machine is a "Moore Nanotech 250UPL" diamond turning lathe.

The 250UPL lists for about $250K.

It appears to me that Moore isn't quite dead yet and has taken accuracy to an extreme level. I wonder how many of these lathes are actually in the field though?

[*]
They're looking for CNC mill help right now. Great opportunity for somebody with 4-5 years experience who ain't looking to make over $20/hr yet. They're always busy though, 50+ hour weeks typically.
Reply to
Black Dragon

Very special lathe. I work for an Optics company, specialized in lasers, We were looking it hard at a 5 axis CNC diamond grinder, but couldn't justify the cost. Maybe a big company with high volume production.

$20/hr would buy me 1/3 or maybe a 1/2 a tank of gas, depends which car I'm pumping. Medium range houses costing $600 -$800 thousand around me and the cheapest rents are over a $1000. $20/hr rate puts CNC machining into poverty level wages. JS

Reply to
Protagonist

I saw you post not long ago you were doing $38/hr+.

Liar!

Reply to
Black Dragon

Hire an illegal, everything is free to them, work cheap no health care no SS withholding & bushy will give them SS even with phony numbers.

You would be stupid to hire an American, get with the "New World Order".

Reply to
free

Yes, $38/hr + Bonus + Health care + 2 weeks payed vacation! Last job, made $33.75 + 10% for second shift + 4 weeks vacation + full Health care. You don't get very far with $20/hr in the Bay area. JS

Reply to
Protagonist

You're full of shit.

RTM isn't in the Bay area, dumbfuck.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Well, than go there and work for $20/hr, probably as a temp + pay your own health care. Now you only making $15/hr. haha! There is more money in flipping burgers than working for RTM, I guess. JS

Reply to
Protagonist

Glad you like them. That non-rotationally symmetric turning is a trip. It takes 1000 blocks per second with an 8000 block lookahead to pull that trick off. Some of the part programs get upwards of a gigabyte long. We've shipped about 150 of them so far and our backlog is good. The 250 is the little guy and is available in two, three or four axis versions. The larger machines are the 350/450 family and is available in a 5 axis version. BTW, I'm their Controls/Software engineer.

Reply to
jeff