M5 works differently following M4 vs M3

I was working on a Mori Seki lathe with a fanuc 16? in it last night. The complaint was that chuck was still spinning down when the door latch unlocked.

So I went to MDI, did a S1000M3 and hit the go button. Then a M5 followed by the go button. I kept testing door latch and when indicated spindle speed went to zero, the door unlatched.

The operator told me that the chuck is spinning the other way when he opens the door.

So I tested again using M4 instead of M3. When I executed the M5 to stop, I could open the door while spinning down through 90 rpm.

Absolutely repeatable. M3 direction stops work fine, M4 seem to coast with an early door unlatch.

So I tried:

S1000M4 S0 M5

The chuck stopped just fine. Just as quick as doing the S1000M3, M5 and I couldn't open the door until spindle stopped.

Since they usually open the door at a certain point where they disable loader to do insert changes, I inserted a S0 before the M5 as a work around but I'd love to know what to look at to fix this. The other same type machine in cell works normally in either M3 or M4 direction.

Thanks,

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

I'd be checking the differences in the spindle drive parameters. The PLC

*should* need a Zero speed signal from the drive in order to unlock the door. If the spindle parmeters are in error, the zero signal could be given early. The other problem could be that the person who wrote the plc missed a flag in the M3 rung vs the M4 rung.
Reply to
Anthony

Something that would be interesting , try is opening the chuck in the same direction that the zero speed signal seem's missing, when it gets in the 90 rpm range

As overkill I always use the zero speed signal for the M5 so you can see the cycle start light stay on until zero speed is detected.

Also use the for the M3&M4 fin.

Take a look at the zero speed signal in the ladder to see when it comes on.

Sound's strange that on a Mori you would see something like that.

Regards

Regards

Daveb

Reply to
Anonymous

BTW, I think I have that Mazak hard drive issue solved. I copied the drive using a pcmcia ethernet card and have a spare drive out of a machine.

The machine of course is back up, I just want to attempt to prove this out.

As Wes suggested Im going to slave it and install all the files and then try it in the machine.

I think it will work just fine as Mazak said there is nothing in firmware to stop it.

Will let you know if it works.

Best

Best

Daveb

Reply to
Anonymous

Thanks for the ideas both DaveB and Anthony. I'll do some more looking Sunday night when I go back in. I was working at deciphering the ladder when the clock struck weekend and I bolted for the door :)

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

I looked in the ladder today and because of the amount of door versions.....lol I didnt have time to finish looking.

I went to the control and couldnt remember the password for the (ladder) I thought the password=password.

Let me know what it is.

Regards Daveb

Reply to
Anonymous

IIRC, the password on ours is L

Wes

Reply to
clutch

LOL thanks......I think thats the default,so should work.

Regards Daveb

Reply to
Anonymous

I did, chuck closed light went away.

I didn't get a chance to look through ladder. I got a "pcmlad is protected" message. Googling around a bit got me the tidbit that changing K17.0 might make me happy. I could see ladder on all my other CL's except this one and it had a different value. Changed K17.0 and tada, I can see ladder. By then I got called to another problem.

I wish I had more documentation for this thing than an operators manual, maintenance manual, ladder listing, wiring diagram, and parameter manual.

I read somewhere that there are somewhere like 10-13 books for each control and the drives.

Hopefully I'll get to work this problem tonight. At least I have a starting point to compare against.

Thanks,

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

That shouldn't happen either until the spindle is stopped. Sounds like a permission is either missing in the ladder, a parameter has it jumped around, or there is some other signal that is improperly coming on/off that is allowing it to bypass the permission (spindle param?). We have some spindles that are set up to give the (iirc) indicator at some other rpm than 0, in order for the spindle orient to take over. This is a cycle time thing to keep from the spindle coming to a complete stop, then doing the orient function afterwards. It gets to within 3-600 rpm of 0, then the orient takes over and drives it to oriented position. The only way to know for sure is to look at the ladder. You can do this on a Mazak in the Spindle Parameters.

One thing that would be interesting to try...instead of doing an M5, do an M19 and see if it still does it...Provided the control is set up to allow M19 to function.

Reply to
Anthony

This is a mori with a fanuc control. I compared spindle params back to as shipped and they are unchanged.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Yea, I only mentioned the mazak as an example. We don't have a Fanuc set up as an 'even close to normal' lathe for me to look at, but even then we would probably do it much differently than Mori.

Reply to
Anthony

On most Fanuc controls G120.5 is the spindle zero speed bit.

Regards Daveb

Reply to
Anonymous

Disregard that signal I gave you .......that is the signal that turns on when speed is reached, sorry.

I will look it up

Best

Daveb

Reply to