Aussie Ford Fairmont Ghia EA 1989

G'day all, like a number of other lurkers, I'm not in the trade, but have a hobby interest so read a few bits here and have found some really useful bits. I've also picked my first lock that got me out of trouble. Alright it was only a cheap locking fuel cap that I did with a bobby pin and a screwdriver to twist, but it meant I could get home....

I have recently acquired a Ford sedan with the rear passenger door closed and the external handle won't open it, nor the internal one which I believe is due to the childproof setting being tested to see if it was the cause of the door not opening....... The power door lock goes up and down as it should, but the window will not come down.

As it's my own car and I'm prepared to give it a go, is there a way to get the door open so I can then take of the internal trim and replace the damaged parts, or is it going to require a local smith to have a go?

The local wreckers say that I'm better to break off the outside door handle to get at the linkage with a pair of pointed nose pliers rather than doing it from inside as the trims are in good condition and replacement ones are hard to get. The EA door handles are cheap and readily available. The shape of the door prevents me from undoing the screws that hold the trim in place.

There is similar one at the local wreckers which I believe I could take the trim off to see what I'm trying to get at if I speak nicely to them and they treat me as another happy customer and allow me access to the yard. I have a couple of other parts to get from it so I will have a bit of time to have a look as long as I have an idea of what I"m looking for.

Any suggestions please, and if you wish to post privately my email is " p.tebbutt at uq dot net dot au "

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
Bushy

cheap is good... had a similar on a VW... the outside handle was CHEAP new, and readily available...

if one is a DIY, AND is mechanical inclined-meaning once you SEE all the linkage, you can figure out which part is the problem... go fo it...

it could be the child proof lock is in 'tween' state, OR broken, do keep that thought in mind.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Hmmm. Do the "opening" manuals also address getting to the linkage for the child proof lock? I can imagine problems with the "in between state" that could be fixed if you got an under the glass tool into the right spot.

Thanks,

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

no... not as far as I have seen... USUALLY its the latch itself, and an internal problem...

Ford called once with a door LATCH... would NOT work screwed in place-never failed to work out of the door, and none of the screws were hitting/binding... but, something was being 'kinked' when it was tightened down, preventing the door from opening from the outside. THe rods were connected, and adjusted properly, but, it would not unlatch from the outside... you could NOT even grab the rod and open it, bypassing the handle.

They replaced it with a new one, and problem fixed.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Sometimes door locks (usually the back door on the passenge side, which seldom gets used) rust shut. Sometimes it is possible to spray or pour some oil into the door (on the end which swings open) and get some oil into the lock mechanism.

Second thought. Takes two people. With the lock button up, have a friend lift the outdoor handle. Have him stand to one side. Lay on the back seat on your back, and use the bottom of your feet to kick the door from the inside. Oddly enough, I've seen this work a couple times.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On my old 89 Ford the thin linkage going to the outer door handle is threaded so it can be adjusted in or out. The passenger side door would not open from the outside so I pulled up real hard on the handle, pulled the door open and removed and adjusted the linkage and it worked fine. Seems people yanked up on the door handle too much one to many times and bent the linkage causing it to not fully release when the handle was lifted to what would be considered the normal hight to open the door. Every Ford needs a good swift yank and maybee a kick now and then. FORD, Fix Or Repair Daily. Maybe this will help too.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

Since he is already inside, he can work from there, and not need an under the glass tool.

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

I also drive a FORD. It's often Found On Road Dead.

Reply to
MThomas859