What end-mill should I use ????

Hi everyone,.

I'm looking for some kind of rougher end-mill to cut let's say an 10" hole in a 1/2" steel plate. I want to take a single pass and the hole will fall on the table. Hope you understand want I mean.

It will be 4140 steel no more than 30Rc. I'm trying some Niagara end-mill (carbide microshield) , the rougher elite series (1/2" dia.), it's not bad, I have tried the 1" dia. too, but it's not as tough as the 1/2". I need something that will last more than these.

It will be use on a rigid 3 and 5 axes milling. Any brand name and spec. ??

Thanks Pat

Reply to
Patrick B

Hi Pat, Rigid is a relative term, especially when you throw 5-axis into the description. A carbide rougher might not be the hot ticket. I've had pretty good luck with YG roughers in steel with 40 taper spindles. Here's the number for a 3/4" that would work pretty well. 75359CC is the first line, and the second line is X4FSR-4806. Third line reads

3/4 X 3/4, and the last line is 4FL.STUB.SE.CC.FINE.ROUGH.TICN.M42. If you have the sindle power to push it, get the 1" diameter from the same family of cutters. As long as you don't rapid traverse through the material they do pretty well.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Hi Pat, Rigid is a relative term, especially when you throw 5-axis into the description. A carbide rougher might not be the hot ticket. I've had pretty good luck with YG roughers in steel with 40 taper spindles. Here's the number for a 3/4" that would work pretty well. 75359CC is the first line, and the second line is X4FSR-4806. Third line reads

3/4 X 3/4, and the last line is 4FL.STUB.SE.CC.FINE.ROUGH.TICN.M42. If you have the sindle power to push it, get the 1" diameter from the same family of cutters. As long as you don't rapid traverse through the material they do pretty well.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Damn echo in here.

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Charlie,

You might try using ( free newserver ):

aioe.cjb.net

Retention isn't all that great, but seems to propagate readily....

Cheers,

--Sam

Reply to
PrecisionMechanical