Hollow End Mill

I have a friend who's looking for a .500 hollow end mill, and asked me if I knew of a source. All I could find was adjustable hollow end mills that were expensive. This is the tool called out to cut the swages on the wheel studs holding the axle flange to the brake drum on Ford Models A's. He is rebuilding one. I emailed McMaster-Carr as I didn't find one on their website and they said they have none. Tried Wholesale Tool and MSC with no luck. He's going to start on the job in about 1 1/2 weeks and would sure like to have this tool. Would appreciate any help if someone knows a source.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

Trevor Jones

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

I have made a couple similar tools from drill rod. Not very difficult. Let me know if interested in details.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Ted you might try looking under Annular cutters, they're used for cutting elongated holes with magnetic base drills. However the other fellow is right about using drill rod, drill pilot hole to fit over stud as guide then shape teeth and harden. Art

Reply to
Art Harron

I think you mixed up who said what. :-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Hell, that's nothing. The suggestion to use a boring head was completely ignored, and you don't have to make a special tool to go that route. Go figure! :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

What are these things used for? I have a handful of them in various sizes that were given to me by my brother-in-law.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

I'm the original poster and I needed one for a friend who is rebuilding a Model A Ford. It was the tool specified in his manual to slip down over the wheel studs and cut the swage on the stud that holds the axle flange and brake drum together. As far as other uses for them, I don't know but am sure someone here does.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Thanks, Garrett. I can see why an annular endmill might be a good idea in some cases, like your example.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson