South Bend 9" A How Good?

Just picked up a very used 1960's? South Bend 9" Mod A precision lathe and now in the process of rebuilding it. I just cut the ways and shimmed the saddle with Turcite to bring it back to the correct height. It had a lot of use and a bad taper, 003 over 4 inches. I am wondering how precision were these lathes new? I ran some tests so far and I got it down to 0005 over 12 inches, I think this is about the best its going to get, but its just used for my home shop anyhow.

Thanks Craig

Reply to
Craig Garrett

Craig... Any tips you can offer would be appreciated

I have a 1945 (yikes) model that I need to rebuild

TIA

Tom

Reply to
surftom

I tried to email you but it kept bouncing it back to me. So here is what I sent

Tom, This was my first try at this, I just purchased it for 400 bucks so I didn't have much to lose. I also picked up a nice Bridgeport 30" mill for even less and the mill is what I used to recut the bed. I found the worst, deepest ware part of the bed and used that as my deepest cut point. I used a

45 chamfer cutter, set it up on the table and cut the 2 ways/4 sides. I took off about 70 thou to clean it up. I did not touch the tail or head stock ways as they were fine, only the saddle ways and I only cut them out as far as normal travel would be so you can still see the original (end) of the way which I used for reference points because they had no ware. I then used 1/32 pure Teflon strips and bonded it to the saddle with epoxy and let it set on the new ways to dry and find it own center. The 1/32 thickness brought the saddle up the its original height so I didn't have to screw with the lead screw or tool rest. For a quick job it really turned out a lot better than I ever hoped for. I had a backup plan if it didn't work. look for another bed!! or mill out the ways completely and replace them with steel stock and screws/shims to get them right (plus) then cut them to the original size and do not use the Teflon. I am not too far from the South Bend Factory so I am going to email them to see how much a new bed would cost or if they have any old ones laying around.

Good Luck

Craig Grand Rapids MI

Reply to
Craig Garrett

Craig thanks for responding - the email I use here is primarily a spam catcher You can get me direct from the link on my site - just tested it (just in case)

Appreciate the advice - now I have to get a mill!! :)

"Honey - I was thinking..... wouldn't a mill look great in the basement - garage etc"

Tom

Reply to
surftom