Where to find steel wedges?

Sometime back I was given a couple steel wedges, just hard flat steel
about 1" wide, 1/4" thick at the fat end and tapering down to nothing.
I have looked all over locally (Tacoma and Bremerton, Washington) and
no one has them. I found some on McMaster-Carr and ordered them, but
they are sort of a hollow ground at the fat end, not the same. And
they are relatively expensive.
Pipefitters use them, I have found them useful for all sorts of
spreading and aligning. Anyone know where to find such a thing?
Reply to
Wally
yea, I've seen and used them also. I got a whole bunch of 24' 2x6 nailed together into a post a while back. I used wedges to drive to drive them apart . Made quick work out of a tuff job.
I just built my own. That's why I own a milling machine.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
In steel underwear, of course. :-)
Jim Chandler (Sorry, couldn't resist)
Reply to
Jim Chandler
I have no idea, when you find a good source, let us know. I could use a small batch of those. Maybe some day I'll just knuckle down at the B'Port and make a bunch. I'd bet a machinery setup/repair/moving supply might have them, but probably expensive...
Reply to
woodworker88
Check McMaster Carr for "flange wedges".
John Martin
Reply to
John Martin
I buy mine at Ballard Hardware in Seattle. Machine wedges.
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Wally, MSC (mscdirect.com) sell them also. They call them clamping wedges, they're on page 1067. Paul
Reply to
Paul
You can make them yourself with a good cutting torch and finish them with a grinder. I know many welders and mechanics who have done it.

| > Sometime back I was given a couple steel wedges, just hard flat steel | > about 1" wide, 1/4" thick at the fat end and tapering down to nothing. | > I have looked all over locally (Tacoma and Bremerton, Washington) and | > no one has them. I found some on McMaster-Carr and ordered them, but | > they are sort of a hollow ground at the fat end, not the same. And | > they are relatively expensive. | > | > Pipefitters use them, I have found them useful for all sorts of | > spreading and aligning. Anyone know where to find such a thing? | | Wally, | MSC (mscdirect.com) sell them also. They call them clamping wedges, they're | on page 1067. | Paul | |
Reply to
E Kinney
Shops that install trailer hitches.
-Carl
Reply to
Carl Byrns
You could have them made at any local steel supply center. One way is to have them custom flame cut or sawn out of six inch by one inch thick flat bar. The bar is cocked over out of square for each cut. Most fab shops make their own. Randy
Reply to
Randy Zimmerman
Take a look at a printing supply company to lock up type in a chase for a letterpress they would use wedges that interlocked and could be opened or closed with a key. They are called quoins.
Reply to
Sam Soltan
Central Welding Supply stores in the greater Seattle area carry them. Also Pacific Welding in Tacoma likely has them on the shelf.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler