Tumbling sand

I broke out an old tumbling machine to tumble some dies and other things that have gotten rusty on me. What would be a good medium to roll them in? The play sand available at The Borg? Sandblasting sand? Something easy to get and cheap, please.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I made one long ago to tumble shells for reloading and I used rice (uncooked) as a medium it worked ok but was slower than the commercial stuff - but the price was right.

Tim South Africa

Reply to
TMN

TMN fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

I often use chicken "scratch feed" with a small amount of fine sand added. It's about $6.00 for 50lb, and does a nice job of cleaning and degreasing parts. It's not abrasive without the sand, so if you use it straight, it will work OK for parts with nice finishes.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

dry sand. vary the speed and time to get the effect desired.

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:Xns998F539A0C5DFlloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

I should have added that some brands contain crushed oyster shells, and they ARE abrasive.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

innews:Xns998F539A0C5DFlloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

Why not just use a phosphoric solution like "Ospho?" That said, I use ground corncobs to clean brass with a bit of Brasso polish and plastic pellets for steel hardware. For cleaning rusty tools or car parts I use the Ospho or electroylis

Reply to
Gerry

Dies ? Maybe walnut shells or something like that.

Borg ? - to much metal and silicon - besides dangerous in turning into one!

Martin

Mart> I broke out an old tumbling machine to tumble some dies and other things

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

What is in 'scratch feed', I'm wondering if it would be cheap media for my case polisher.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Wes fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

It's mostly cooked corn mash that has been toasted bone dry. It has a few powdered minerals added, and sometimes crushed oyster shells. I've tried sawdust, corn meal, cotton seeds, and a number of "waste" organics. Scratch feed seems to work for the short run about as well as crushed walnet shells, but then breaks down to a "mealy" powder, and pretty much stops being abrasive at that point.

It's cheap. That's its primary advantage.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

media

organics.

crushed

But do the chickens still eat it when you've finished with it?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

"Andrew Mawson" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

They _would_, but they won't be allowed to.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Well I wouldn't give it to uncles chickens since he eats the eggs but the chipmunks can have it. A bit of Lead styphanate from the primers and little lead pellets from the rifles.... Could solve a lot of problems.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Reply to