Sifting Sand

I don't sandblast very much but today I did my truck's trailer hitch and went through 50 pounds of normal play sand. It worked pretty well considering it was a cheap Campbell-Hausfeld siphon-type blaster and I'd heard various comments about siphon units in general. At any rate, I heard once that you can sift the sand through a screen and re-use it. That sounds good rather than tossing 50 pounds of slightly contaminated sand. Making a frame is easy enough, but I have no idea what size/type of screen to use.

Suggestions?

--George

Reply to
George

Thanks Dan. I wasn't sure if regular window screen would work or not. I've got a roll of nylon screen somewhere ... I'll dig around for it.

I'll keep an eye out for the Black Diamond. I'd heard about using aluminum oxide but the mixture the URL describes sounds interesting.

--George

Reply to
George

Not to be a "safety nanny", but blasting with sand creates free silica, which will lodge in your lungs pretty much forever. Black beauty, as the other poster described, is silica free and fairly cheap as well.

Reply to
ATP

I didn't know that. I take it that I should use my mask next time. I have a good one rated for asbestos that I can use.

Thank you for the safety tip. Like I said, sand blasting/abrasive blasting is new to me.

--George

Reply to
George