HF pressure blaster

I've had one of these for several years now. Only used it once or twice, with poor results. The documentation is worse than useless as to proper use. I get more abrasive on me than on the part. Makes a big mess, sand everywhere. I'm using some special abrasive that looks like little black stars. Right now I need to knock the paint of a burke mill.

Can anyone give me some tips on making this thing work? Do I need a better gun?

Rex B

Reply to
Rex B

YES!

I bought a HF blast cabinet and the gun sucked. It wouldn't even take rust off 1/4" plate. I bought a gun from

and it TORE the rust off. I use walnut shells, glass bead and aluminum oxide (all from HF) and it works excellent. You can also get different air jets and venturi based on what size compressor you have. Most importantly you can get spare parts! Made in the USA too!

Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona

Check

my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Rex B wrote:

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

I have a 20 lb. blaster & there was definately a learning curve to it :(

First thing is you need an air dryer in the supply line. No maybes, ifs, ors or butts-

Second is adjusting the feed valve at the bottom of the tank, this is a bit of an art & probably dependant on your media. I use mostlty 80 mesh grit, for that the proper setting is 30-50% open. Any more than that & the hose/gun plugs.

Third, if you're re-using the media you have to strain the garbage out, I find door screen works well. Also if your re-using after a while the dust content builds up & starts gumming things up, I get about five cycles & thats all.

With all that I now have very good success with the unit, works a lot better than the siphon units I know of.

For more info-

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

This one has a water trap on the inlet. What kind of air dryer did you use on yours.

That helps. Never occurred to me to treat that ball valve as a proportional valve.

Got that, but how do you catch the media? Tarp?

Pretty ingenious. I have a plastic 55-gal drum I've been eyeing, but I think I'm just going to buy a HF cabinet and then upgrade the gun to a TIP unit.

Reply to
Rex B

Go to

& download the catalog, I use the dessicant dryer on pg. 138.

So far I've only used it with the cabinet.

Probably a good idea, I've got a ball valve for a gun & after a few uses it basicly stopped turning off :(. On the other hand if you turn off at the gun end the media keeps falling out the bottom of the tank & plugs up the hose there.

Howard Eisenhauer