outside

I've been working on my collection of HOn3. Is there and reason I can't set up a layout outside? And would I be better off to use brass or nickel-silver
rail.
I'm in SW Florida so it's a good climate to work outside in, except the rainy season
Tim C

Can't comment on outdoor railways as I've no experience with same.
As for rail, _always_ nickel-silver if you use electrical power. In doors, out doors wherever.
-- Cheers Roger T.
Tim, While you can run outside with any scale keep in mind that the track must be clean and free of even the very smallest bits of leaves, sticks and other crud. HOn3 locomotives are small and light so clean track and wheels are a must even if the locomotive is a smooth reliable runner. The flanges are also smaller than HO so a tiny piece of anything on the track can derail light HOn3 locomotives and cars. Nickel Silver rail is much better. Its oxidation conducts electricity and stays much cleaner than brass. I would think Nickel silver is the only option in HOn3 anyway. I've never seen HOn3 brass turnouts or flex track and I don't recall seeing any brass code 70 or 55 or 40 rail to hand lay your track. Of course I might not have been paying attention as I have always stayed away from brass track. I would if at all possible try to have a layout inside even if it was very small. Outside may work if your willing to accept the potential for problems. You might try a small loop with a couple of turnouts outside. Build it this summer. Let it go through the winter and the weather ( maybe a Hurricane or three) to see how it holds up and how much work it takes to keep it operational. Bruce

set
nickel-silver
nickle silver. Most folks think that HO is too small for outdoors -- or are you just going to do a layout that happens to be outside and can be covered in case of rain?
Tim Coyle wrote:

set
nickel-silver
Ditto to what others have said about use of nickel silver and the special need for clean rails and wheels for the very small, light HOn3 locos. I'd add two things: o Consider adding rail wiping pick-up shoes to your locos/tenders to improve rail contact. I found this made a big improvement with HOn3 indoors, especially on older brass locos. o My experience with G gauge out doors in Virginia is that rail oxidation is much less of a problem than Mother Nature's Crud. Rain drops collect soot and dust in the air and deposit it on the rail. Rain and dew moisture drips off of any overhead leaves and brings with it an adherent black crud from the surface of the leaves that collects on the rail heads between runs. And then there are birds who - well you know what happens. And spiders who leave webs, slugs who leave slime, etc. etc. It is much worse than basement dust build-up. Plan on building some sort of track cleaning device to run over the track before each use with some sort of all-purpose cleaner (I use 409) on a mildly abrasive pad, and supplement that with a car in a train with the old Masonite square with two nails glued on top "floating" in two matching holes in the car's center sill. Gary Q
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:34:42 UTC, "Tim Coyle"

Make sure it is in the shade ALL the time. Your sun is not as vicious as Arizona's but is bad enough. It will make your track look like a pretzel in no time. It also does terrible things to plastic.
--
ernie fisch