Help Question (Outside Track)

I need some help and a question reponded to..please :)

I'am currently planning to build my layout and which is inside my condo and also have a very large outside part covered and part uncovered patio.I want to build an elevated track on cedar wood and was woundering which ho scale track witch uould work well outside as I plan to have two stright track side by side one commming and returning to the inside of my layout which will only used in the summer.(some of the track wiill have curves too..any advice on track type as I want to have the two tracks comminginto the condo removable to close the sliding glass door.)

Thanks for your advice in advance.out weather is sunny with wind and lots of rain durning the fall and winter and in 70F plus durning the summer and low

60F- 32F sometimes in the winter..once in a while snow...

Brock R Bailey Victoria BC Canada

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Reply to
Brock Bailey

Brock Bailey spake thus:

Any type of so-called "nickel-silver" track should work OK. Just don't use brass track: you'll be cleaning it forever (it tarnishes easily).

You ought to know that what you're proposing to do (an outdoor HO layout) is highly unusual. Doesn't mean it can't work, but most people run big trains (G scale, etc.) outdoors.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The best I'm aware of is the nickel silver track sold by several manufacturers. To avoid roadbed materials that are vulnerable to moisture you might consider track with a plastic roadbed like Kato Unitrack or Atlas True Track.

Consider building something similar to Bend Track modules so you could store the outdoor portion out of the weather during the winter. If you don't want the full 24 inch width and straight support legs, you could construct supports resembling an inverted "T" superimposed over an inverted "Y". You could also build leg assemblies that resemble an "H".

The basic Bend Track modules are rectangular layout sections with double tracks parallel to the long sides. Since the track spacing on the ends are symmetrical and standardized, they don't HAVE to be straight or an exact length. The trains reverse directions on "balloon" modules (track layout similar to the cross section of a hot air balloon) on both ends. Bend Track information:

Without the requirement to be compatible with other model railroader's modules, Brock could construct narrower through modules substituting HO for N scale. Some hardware retailers sell a metal insert that can be slid into a hole in the SIDE of the leg that is less vulnerable to the problems of T-nuts falling out.

Imagine how this could be applied to a portion of a layout built to resemble a cable stay bridge!

Reply to
RobertVA

Have a look at this site, might give you some ideas.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

HO flex track is mostly nickel silver rail and plastic ties, both of which are reasonably weatherproof. I would worry about the stability of my outdoor wooden roadbed. Exposure to the weather can cause wood to warp, shrink, expand, and other undesirable behavior. HO trains require very even trackwork to avoid derailment. It won't take much weathering to throw your carefully laid track out of alignment, causing operational difficulties. All of which are fixable, but you should expect to spend some time on track maintenance each spring. G is popular for outdoor layouts because the larger rolling stock is more tolerant of minor alignment problems in the track. I have heard of a few outdoor HO operations over the years, so HO is possible, but not at all commom outside.

David Starr

Reply to
David J. Starr

One thing not mentioned in the other posts is the effect of sunlight on plastic ties. The ties on large scale track are usually UV stabilized. I doubt that's true for smaller gauge track, but it may be.

If your track is continually in shade, you're probably OK. If not, it would be best to cover it when not in use to keep the ties from turning to powder.

Reply to
<wkaiser