40s & 50s

This group has been great with my questions, Well here's another.

I the late 40s & 50s in the Northern California or the Eugene Portland areas what other passenger lines might you have seen in the station(s) along with SP Daylight. Also any links to web sites with any photos of that era & area would really be appreciated.

I am slowly working on designing my layout in HO that will feature SP Daylight from the San Francisco to Portland area.

Also in San Francisco city area around the Embarcadero over to Fisherman's Wharf there used to be rails in the streets that were not part of the trolley systems. Does anyone know who's tracks those were and if there's any info about it anywhere?

Tim C SW Florida.

Reply to
Tim Coyle

The Daylight only ran between LA and San Francisco. There were other named trains that ran through the Northern Calif north but they didn't get the modern cars until the late '40s at the least.

Bob May

I remember an article on this in Model Railroader some years ago, IIRC it served a navy yard or something like that. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:02:38 UTC, "Tim Coyle" wrote: 2000

Certainly Northern Pacific and maybe UP. The Espee train would be the Shasta Daylight. There would also have been some Espee heavyweight trains at that time.

That would be the State Belt Railway of California. They used Alco S1 or S2 locos. I don't remember which but I do know they had Blunt trucks. There was a street along the Embarcadero and the Espee stayed on the land side of that street. The State Belt Railway serviced the piers.

I took some photos in the late 40s but they are not where I can lay my hands on them immediately (translation: I don't know where they are).

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

The tracks belonged to the San Fransisco Belt Line RR. There is an article in the April 1980 Model Railroader on this operation, plus a layout plan by Gordon Odegard. If you cannot source this locally, I can scan or photocopy it for you.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

Well I have Model RR's going back a few years but not that far. Please if you can copy it I would be grateful.

Tim C

Reply to
Tim Coyle